Helping Maggie

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This is just an update from a couple of weeks ago when I asked for help finding a home for a deformed Sulcata. It turns out I need homes for 2 small rescued Sulcata both mistreated and one is still in jeopardy. The first one who was stepped on as a hatchling and then just not care for very well. I guess he's flat as a dinner plate and 7 or 8 years old and 6 pounds or so. He was last left out over night in below freezing weather and then dumped on the front porch of my friend where she accidentally discovered him. His owner gave him up because she is afraid he's going to die. And I guess she didn't want to feel responsible for that. He still has not eaten, just sits huddled under the basking light. The second one is 5 years old and had out grown his terrarium. So his people blocked off part of their kitchen floor for him, and washed the tiles with 409 then putting the tortoise back on the wet tiles, so he has a shell infection. They are paying more attention to their new baby. This guy has never walked on or grazed on grass as he lived his whole life in a terrarium.
I am so proud of the TFO members who stepped up to help me as I wasn't having much hope of finding homes for them due to me living 1200 miles away from SoCal. But both tortoises have been taken in and I just wanted to say thank you for helping me and I thought the rest of you would like an update...man I like it when bad stuff turns out so good!!! Awesome!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It sickens m sometimes the way people treat tortoises sometimes. Glad to hear good news.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O boy poor tortoises!! Some people are so stupid and so irresponsible.
I am glad they wil live happy toroise lives from now on.
Thanks for the updates Maggie, I love happy endings :)

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks for updating us; glad to hear they're in better hands.

M

Maggie Cummings

RianSeeking said:
Congratulations. I'm glad to hear it worked out. You must be the fairy godmother of tortoises.

Not hardly, there are numerous people here that rescue tortoises and find homes for them. I was not bragging, but I had asked for help from the group and now that it's over I felt I should give an update that's all...
but I won't every do it again so far away where I can't see the tortoise or keep it to make sure it's healthy....I don't like that

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
People think tortoises are those kind of animals that you can buy just to buy for fun like goldfish. They think all you have to do is feed them pellets and stick them in a tank with some dirt and a light and thats it. They just go to Petco fall in "love" then ignore them. No, torts need lots of care and responsibility, when I turn 18 while I'm in college I'm going to work at Petco and actually educate the people who come to buy a tort from there unlike the guy who helped me pick out my Rambo. He just answered all of my questions with Ummm, I guess yeah.

But on the other hand I'm happy those torts had happy endings! :D Way to go Maggie!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Wow Maggie! Thank you for your concern and hard work. So very happy for good outcomes.

You ROCK.

teri

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
What a great thing you have done for those poor torts :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Networking! Love it!
But sometimes hate people.. that one that was stepped on.. it was avail, then the owner changed her mind,, now its an icecube and she dumps it... neat...
maggie.. I know why you get upset sometimes.. its hard to hold back when you see such things.. you have a passion, and that is good.
just got to remember to take deep breaths sometimes... ;-)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie: I'm hoping you can encourage the guy who got the stepped on sulcata to send you some pictures. I'm very curious to see what it looks like.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Hes my neighbor...Im going to try to get pics. In my opinion, I don't think it was stepped on. I saw it last night. It has the "dented in" top of shell just like the pictures I have seen of severely malnourished sulcatas. It also has horrible pyramiding. The poor thing is in really bad shape. Its upper legs have absolutely no muscle tone at all. Just skin and bones. And it drags its back legs when it walks. It can pull them up, but it doesn't try to use them in ambulation.

It has been eating and drinking (a little) and he has it under the lamps to hopefully stimulate it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Travis:

That sounds like a prospective Forum member! Get him to join us. I'd really love to see that tortoise.

I'm so glad to hear the tortoise seems to be turning around. Last time I talked to Maggie, she said that all he wanted to do was sit under the light.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I agree with Yvonne. I'd like to see photos of the poor guy now that he's in a decent environment...poor thing, though. I hope he makes it back to health and normality!

Trust Maggie to do the right things for animals. :)

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
This is the only pic Tim sent me. I haven't been able to get over there. You cant really see his legs and how skinny they are. The tort never got any sun and only ate fruit (per Tim).:(

28arv5g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.