Not open for further replies.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
so ive been thinking alot.
and since i have two yellow belly sliders - boy and girl
that are the mature size to mate.
i was wondering if the female does lay eggs.
WHAT DO I DO. ?
\ do i move the eggs.
i just i dont know ,
i wanna be ready if this ever does happen so please help .
and i dont know how im supposed to know if there pregnant so if they are and the lay eggs out of no where , what do i do .

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
If they're if breeding size and mating, then she needs to have access to a nesting area at all times. This means you need to attatch an area to their tank (above tank basking area = ATBA from here on) that contains enough sand and dirt that she feels comfortable to use. Even with a good ATBA, she may not like it :rolleyes: and lay in the water. Eggs in the water need to be taken out within 2 hours in order to remain fertile and viable. They then need to be incubated in a proper set up at the right temps and humidity for a few weeks/months (I don't know the hatch time for YBS...sorry).

Then after all that if you want to incubate and you get hatchlings - you need to figure out what you can do with them. They can't go with the adults because they may hurt them and your tank is a bit too small even for the two adults now, let alone adding some babies.

If you can't take care of the babies right, don't have the space for them, or don't want to go through the impatience :p and trials of incubating (they may not hatch at all for a number of reasons I'm figuring out lol), then when she does lay eggs - just throw them in the garbage. Before you start to incubate, they're just like a chicken egg. No baby in there yet, so don't feel bad if you choose not to incubate :)

Good luck. I loved my YBS when I had her.

Saranna

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
well i have a twenty gallon and a ten gallon i could use for the babies.
i plan on moving my turtles to a pond though, next summer.
but my question is,
how do i add sand and dirt to there tank with out making it filthy ,
and where exactly do i put it , i cant put it on there basking rock , because they need it to bask ,
and im not buying a incubator, so iddkkk what to do.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Then if she lays eggs - just throw them away :) It's really not as bad as it sounds because there's no baby inside yet ;) In order to make a ghettobator - you would need a cooler, aquarium water heater, electrical tape, thermometer, humidity gague, etc. If you don't have the means for this right now - it's ok. Once you move them outside to a pond - she'll use the ground and then you just need to watch the yard for babies :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The female needs to be able to get out of the water and dig a hole in the ground to deposit eggs in. Not in the water, but some sort of attachment to the aquarium that holds sand for digging

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Set the tank up with alot of sand and very little water and find a way to make the water flow downstream

Status
Not open for further replies.