HELPPPP!!! Sulcata hatchling is gasping!!

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I must apologise, my phone keeps with doing instead of along!
I think a mini greenhouse or shower curtain good fit an oval tub. It's great you're doing all you can to get it right. Best wishes to you and your little tortoise. We're looking forward to seeing photos [emoji4]

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Ok... This is going to sound awful at first, but it gets better if you keep reading.

You've made nearly every mistake there is. Boom. There is it. Now that I've finished the bad part, let me butter you up. You've made these mistakes because you tried so hard to do a good job. You've clearly read a ton of stuff and followed lots of advice from various sources. Here is the problem: Almost all the sources out there are wrong and almost all of them are saying the same wrong stuff. You are learning this lesson the hard way.

The problems have already been pointed out, so I'll list the steps to fix it all:
  1. Get rid of the red bulb and replace it with a CHE or RHP set on a thermostat.
  2. Get rid of the moss.
  3. You need a large closed chamber to hold in the heat and humidity.
  4. Humidity needs to be 80%+ day and night, 24/7.
  5. I saw no mention of night heat. The symptoms you are seeing are the onset of a respiratory infection. This is almost always due to temps that are too cool, usually at night.
  6. Spraying the surface does very little. A thick layer of damp substrate is the best way to keep humidity up.
  7. For a sick one keep temps up over 85 24/7 in the entire enclosure for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
  8. There is nothing a vet will be able to do for this. Most of them don't know much about tortoises and the things they tend to do make things worse and speed up the tortoise's demise. Its a terrible thing, but if this baby was started too dry and the kidneys were damaged at the breeders or sellers place, no one and nothing can save it. All you can do is offer the best care possible and hope for the best. Some of them make it.
Good luck. Questions and conversation are welcome. :)
Ive had the red 100W on 24/7, so he usually stayed over on the red side during the night. I think the humidity must be the problem. I’m trying to figure out what i can do to enclose the tub that he’s in, because its a large oval.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive had the red 100W on 24/7, so he usually stayed over on the red side during the night. I think the humidity must be the problem. I’m trying to figure out what i can do to enclose the tub that he’s in, because its a large oval.
Low humidity is not causing this problem. Its probably low night temps, or it could be low night temps at the sellers place.

I've had zero success trying to convert an existing enclosure into a closed chamber. I just buy or build a closed chamber.

Lewisville, Texas
Low humidity is not causing this problem. Its probably low night temps, or it could be low night temps at the sellers place.

I've had zero success trying to convert an existing enclosure into a closed chamber. I just buy or build a closed chamber.
Alright, I’m looking into getting another enclosure. Are there any websites you know of where I can buy an enclosed chamber? I don’t have any way of building an enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright, I’m looking into getting another enclosure. Are there any websites you know of where I can buy an enclosed chamber? I don’t have any way of building an enclosure.
I LOOOOOVVVVE these ones. They are by far the best on the market and reasonably priced too. The only catch is that it usually takes months to get one. I like the T13 model or larger for babies.
https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages

I have 8 of their cages and I give them an A+++ for quality, support, customer service and overall excellence as a company. I wish all businesses would follow their example.

Lewisville, Texas
I LOOOOOVVVVE these ones. They are by far the best on the market and reasonably priced too. The only catch is that it usually takes months to get one. I like the T13 model or larger for babies.

I have 8 of their cages and I give them an A+++ for quality, support, customer service and overall excellence as a company. I wish all businesses would follow their example.
I don’t know what to do... i need one asap and I don’t have hundred of dollars

Lewisville, Texas

Which one be the most suitable for a hatchling sulcata?

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
As a quick, temporary fix, could you cut a lid out of thick card or plastic with holes for the lights and heater? Cover the lid with tin foil to protect it from the heat. Getting the humidity up and keeping the heat in is a priority.

Lewisville, Texas
As a quick, temporary fix, could you cut a lid out of thick card or plastic with holes for the lights and heater? Cover the lid with tin foil to protect it from the heat. Getting the humidity up and keeping the heat in is a priority.
That sounds do-able, though Tom said that he hasn’t had any success with turning his enclosures enclosed

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm trying to come with an idea that would work whilst you get a better option in place. You have to keep the heat in, I would suggest any cover must be better than none, but I know a fully enclosed chamber is the ideal and what you need to get as soon as you can. I use a reptile terrarium with the vents closed for now and we're building a bigger closed chamber now Goliath is getting bigger.

Lewisville, Texas
5ED7A38D-75F4-4037-B404-FCE5956CA6EE.jpeg Here is his current setup. I have already noted that i need to change the red bulb to a Ceramic heat emitting bulb, I’m trying to find a solution to the fact that it is open and cant hold humidity. thanks kamp Kenan for telling me to buy this 80$ tub just so i can find out that it’s insufficient in holding humidity. Franklin just got out of the vet and they said he was negative in upper and lower respiratorty infections, no pneumonia, no MBD, no parasites, no kidney problems, so we’re not sure why he was gasping, the vet said he noticed frankly reaching his head out, but that it mightve just been a sensory thing. I’m glad I caught him acting strangely though, it has opened my eyes to a world of problems with my current setup; Which i can improve upon in the future.
Hey everyone, my hatchling sulcata tortoise, Franklin, whom I ordered from “tortoise town” and arrived Thursday, October 4th, is gasping for air and acting lethargic. His substrate is eco earth coconut fiber substrate, mixed with cedar wood chips I believe. He is in a black storage tub that I got from tractor supply co, Kamp Kenyan showed how he used them in one of his sulcata care videos. I have a red 100 watt nightlight on one side,and a 100 watt daytime lamp on the other side. In the middle of his tub I have a zoomed uvb rectangular light. He has a half log on his hotter side, and a little cave rock that the red light shines on, with moist spaghnum moss inside to keep the humidity inside his cave up. The temperature in his tub ranges from 80 degrees to 104 on his basking spot. He has a shallow water dish, and is fed springmix, st Augustine grass, yellow squash, cucumber, purslane flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, and as an occasional treat, a strawberry. Now that I have covered his setup and diet, ill go over his case.
He is a couple months old, and as previously stated arrived the 4th of October. Recently he has been acting lethargic. He is sleeping most of the day, and gasping on his basking spot. He occasionally pulls his arms and legs inwards, then lets out a squeak, what must either be a sneeze or cough. I cant find any other case of a sulcata hatchling squeaking. I have a vet appointment planned, but I am very worried. Other people seem to consider replacing their tortoise if it gets sick/dies, but I am willing to do everything to keep this hatchling going strong. Any advice is appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That sounds do-able, though Tom said that he hasn’t had any success with turning his enclosures enclosed
Do what you can for now, and work on perfection when you can. Fluctuating and lower than perfect humidity will not harm or kill your tortoise. If he's in conditions that are too dry for too long, it can cause some pyramiding. Mild pyramiding isn't harmful, its just not cosmetically pleasing. The main thing for your tortoise right now is to keep those temps high round the clock and soak every day to maintain hydration.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 254316 Here is his current setup. I have already noted that i need to change the red bulb to a Ceramic heat emitting bulb, I’m trying to find a solution to the fact that it is open and cant hold humidity. thanks kamp Kenan for telling me to buy this 80$ tub just so i can find out that it’s insufficient in holding humidity. Franklin just got out of the vet and they said he was negative in upper and lower respiratorty infections, no pneumonia, no MBD, no parasites, no kidney problems, so we’re not sure why he was gasping, the vet said he noticed frankly reaching his head out, but that it mightve just been a sensory thing. I’m glad I caught him acting strangely though, it has opened my eyes to a world of problems with my current setup; Which i can improve upon in the future.
Good news from the vet. Hope keeping the heat in sorts out the gasping. Let us know how he goes.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Cheap enclosure idea-
Get the biggest plastic bin you can find from Walmart, like a 50 gallon tub(19-22$)IMG_1561.jpgor a Christmas tree bin(32$)IMG_1562.jpg
And cut holes in the lid just big enough for the lights to sit on top, and line them with tin foil. Then just put everything in, and you’re good to go!
Here’s how I did the lights with a smaller tub.IMG_1283.jpg
Sorry I couldn’t reply sooner!

Lewisville, Texas
Cheap enclosure idea-
Get the biggest plastic bin you can find from Walmart, like a 50 gallon tub(19-22$)View attachment 254324or a Christmas tree bin(32$)View attachment 254325
And cut holes in the lid just big enough for the lights to sit on top, and line them with tin foil. Then just put everything in, and you’re good to go!
Here’s how I did the lights with a smaller tub.View attachment 254326
Sorry I couldn’t reply sooner!
You’re a life saver!!!!!

Lewisville, Texas
3D05E4FB-EF95-4A0C-9E3A-CFAD77612171.jpeg Hey everyone! Update on our predicament. I cannot explain why he appears to gasp for air every couple minutes, but I’m not too worried about it. Tomorrow I’m gonna head out to walmart to get a plastic bin at Walmart, and use it to hold moisture in. Franklin for the time being is alright, I know I’m super lucky for events to have turned out this way, I’ve seen to many people saying that they lost a tortoise to similar circumstances. Ill eventually trade out that red light for a ceramic, but for now i think ill focus on his humidity/new home. I cannot thank you guys enough for the help. I woke up this morning thinking i would lose franklin today. You people have helped me out more than months of inadequate research has, thanks to y’all i, and more than likely my future children will have a future with franklin. Ive got a lot of work to do, but i have a general idea now on what to do. Here’s him taking a bath in an old yellow plastic tub i use, but with that comes yet another question. How do you guys keep their bath water warm? Within a few minutes his water is cold and i have to refill it with warm water.QUOTE="SushiAndReptiles, post: 1669284, member: 111837"]Hey everyone, my hatchling sulcata tortoise, Franklin, whom I ordered from “tortoise town” and arrived Thursday, October 4th, is gasping for air and acting lethargic. His substrate is eco earth coconut fiber substrate, mixed with cedar wood chips I believe. He is in a black storage tub that I got from tractor supply co, Kamp Kenyan showed how he used them in one of his sulcata care videos. I have a red 100 watt nightlight on one side,and a 100 watt daytime lamp on the other side. In the middle of his tub I have a zoomed uvb rectangular light. He has a half log on his hotter side, and a little cave rock that the red light shines on, with moist spaghnum moss inside to keep the humidity inside his cave up. The temperature in his tub ranges from 80 degrees to 104 on his basking spot. He has a shallow water dish, and is fed springmix, st Augustine grass, yellow squash, cucumber, purslane flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, and as an occasional treat, a strawberry. Now that I have covered his setup and diet, ill go over his case.
He is a couple months old, and as previously stated arrived the 4th of October. Recently he has been acting lethargic. He is sleeping most of the day, and gasping on his basking spot. He occasionally pulls his arms and legs inwards, then lets out a squeak, what must either be a sneeze or cough. I cant find any other case of a sulcata hatchling squeaking. I have a vet appointment planned, but I am very worried. Other people seem to consider replacing their tortoise if it gets sick/dies, but I am willing to do everything to keep this hatchling going strong. Any advice is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
View attachment 254372 Hey everyone! Update on our predicament. I cannot explain why he appears to gasp for air every couple minutes, but I’m not too worried about it. Tomorrow I’m gonna head out to walmart to get a plastic bin at Walmart, and use it to hold moisture in. Franklin for the time being is alright, I know I’m super lucky for events to have turned out this way, I’ve seen to many people saying that they lost a tortoise to similar circumstances. Ill eventually trade out that red light for a ceramic, but for now i think ill focus on his humidity/new home. I cannot thank you guys enough for the help. I woke up this morning thinking i would lose franklin today. You people have helped me out more than months of inadequate research has, thanks to y’all i, and more than likely my future children will have a future with franklin. Ive got a lot of work to do, but i have a general idea now on what to do. Here’s him taking a bath in an old yellow plastic tub i use, but with that comes yet another question. How do you guys keep their bath water warm? Within a few minutes his water is cold and i have to refill it with warm water.QUOTE="SushiAndReptiles, post: 1669284, member: 111837"]Hey everyone, my hatchling sulcata tortoise, Franklin, whom I ordered from “tortoise town” and arrived Thursday, October 4th, is gasping for air and acting lethargic. His substrate is eco earth coconut fiber substrate, mixed with cedar wood chips I believe. He is in a black storage tub that I got from tractor supply co, Kamp Kenyan showed how he used them in one of his sulcata care videos. I have a red 100 watt nightlight on one side,and a 100 watt daytime lamp on the other side. In the middle of his tub I have a zoomed uvb rectangular light. He has a half log on his hotter side, and a little cave rock that the red light shines on, with moist spaghnum moss inside to keep the humidity inside his cave up. The temperature in his tub ranges from 80 degrees to 104 on his basking spot. He has a shallow water dish, and is fed springmix, st Augustine grass, yellow squash, cucumber, purslane flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, and as an occasional treat, a strawberry. Now that I have covered his setup and diet, ill go over his case.
He is a couple months old, and as previously stated arrived the 4th of October. Recently he has been acting lethargic. He is sleeping most of the day, and gasping on his basking spot. He occasionally pulls his arms and legs inwards, then lets out a squeak, what must either be a sneeze or cough. I cant find any other case of a sulcata hatchling squeaking. I have a vet appointment planned, but I am very worried. Other people seem to consider replacing their tortoise if it gets sick/dies, but I am willing to do everything to keep this hatchling going strong. Any advice is appreciated.

I usually put my soaking container under a heat lamp, or near one.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
How do i enclose his plastic tub without blocking out his heat lamps and uvb lamp? And I’m so frustrated about tortoise town. They have a 4.7/5 review, I’m not sure how I never saw any negative reviews. I reached out to them yesterday evening about the condition of my tortoise and they haven’t even responded yet.

When Jack got sick, I bought a plastic storage box with a lid, cut holes on the lid for the lamps, I put foil around the cut edges, to protect the plastic from the heat. I was able to maintain steady temps and humidity. Ideally (I did not have time) you should split the lid in half, put lights on one side, then use the other side as an access door, using foil paper in between the split lid to help keep humidity in the “incubator”. Add substrate, a hide, a plate for food always moistened with some water. Soaks should be with warm water and carrot baby food if not eating, some people add some unflavored pedialyte. Soak your baby for 30 minutes under the sun, weather permitting or under the lamp if not. You have to act immediately if he is not eating properly or acting lethargic. Good luck!!!

PS. Don’t know if soaking times vary with pneumonia symptoms, maybe someone can elaborate.IMG_1222.jpg

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
When Jack got sick, I bought a plastic storage box with a lid, cut holes on the lid for the lamps, I put foil around the cut edges, to protect the plastic from the heat. I was able to maintain steady temps and humidity. Ideally (I did not have time) you should split the lid in half, put lights on one side, then use the other side as an access door, using foil paper in between the split lid to help keep humidity in the “incubator”. Add substrate, a hide, a plate for food always moistened with some water. Soaks should be with warm water and carrot baby food if not eating, some people add some unflavored pedialyte. Soak your baby for 30 minutes under the sun, weather permitting or under the lamp if not. You have to act immediately if he is not eating properly or acting lethargic. Good luck!!!

PS. Don’t know if soaking times vary with pneumonia symptoms, maybe someone can elaborate.View attachment 254380

This was my first “incubator”, the storage box had a split lid, I put the lamp inside, but the temp under it was too high, so I bought a bigger box and did what I told you above. Trying to find the photo, will post later.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
I don’t know what to do... i need one asap and I don’t have hundred of dollars

The ones Tom is suggesting are the best, if you don’t have the monies, do whatever you can to get your temps right ASAP, then make a plan to save for the proper enclosure. You need to get the temps right, so you can help your baby. Best of luck!!!