HELPPPP!!! Sulcata hatchling is gasping!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hey everyone, my hatchling sulcata tortoise, Franklin, whom I ordered from “tortoise town” and arrived Thursday, October 4th, is gasping for air and acting lethargic. His substrate is eco earth coconut fiber substrate, mixed with cedar wood chips I believe. He is in a black storage tub that I got from tractor supply co, Kamp Kenyan showed how he used them in one of his sulcata care videos. I have a red 100 watt nightlight on one side,and a 100 watt daytime lamp on the other side. In the middle of his tub I have a zoomed uvb rectangular light. He has a half log on his hotter side, and a little cave rock that the red light shines on, with moist spaghnum moss inside to keep the humidity inside his cave up. The temperature in his tub ranges from 80 degrees to 104 on his basking spot. He has a shallow water dish, and is fed springmix, st Augustine grass, yellow squash, cucumber, purslane flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, and as an occasional treat, a strawberry. Now that I have covered his setup and diet, ill go over his case.
He is a couple months old, and as previously stated arrived the 4th of October. Recently he has been acting lethargic. He is sleeping most of the day, and gasping on his basking spot. He occasionally pulls his arms and legs inwards, then lets out a squeak, what must either be a sneeze or cough. I cant find any other case of a sulcata hatchling squeaking. I have a vet appointment planned, but I am very worried. Other people seem to consider replacing their tortoise if it gets sick/dies, but I am willing to do everything to keep this hatchling going strong. Any advice is appreciated.
First get those cedar wood chips outta there! They are toxic to reptiles.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You guys, and this community are the best. I’m looking at ideas on how to close his tub off, but my situation is difficult in that the tub is an oval, so i cant build a square cover. Ill have to make something custom but I’m looking at photos and such. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated
Your tub may be oval but you can still find something larger, flat and square to completely cover it, like a sheet of plywood or plexiglass. Even covering it 80% with something is better than not at all.

Lewisville, Texas
Cheap enclosure idea-
Get the biggest plastic bin you can find from Walmart, like a 50 gallon tub(19-22$)View attachment 254324or a Christmas tree bin(32$)View attachment 254325
And cut holes in the lid just big enough for the lights to sit on top, and line them with tin foil. Then just put everything in, and you’re good to go!
Here’s how I did the lights with a smaller tub.View attachment 254326
Sorry I couldn’t reply sooner!
Is there any way you could make a tub like this a permanent home? People are saying to use it temporarily; but if it works to keep humidity in, what point is there in changing it? Other than cosmetic aesthetic

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is there any way you could make a tub like this a permanent home? People are saying to use it temporarily; but if it works to keep humidity in, what point is there in changing it? Other than cosmetic aesthetic

I personally don’t see a problem with it, but since sulcatas grow quick, it would only last a few months before you need to put them in something bigger or an 8x4 closed chamber, which would last them until they’re big enough to move outside.

acgizmo1

Texas
I ordered from them about 2 1/2 years ago they sent a sick tortoise my dad and I cared for him 24 hrs a day 7 days a week for a month the little guys eyes wouldn’t even open. He wouldn’t eat. Once he passed I called them and told them and argued sent pictures they still didn’t believe me. They were saying it was my fault for getting a tortoise in the first place. In the end they gave me my money back towards a new tortoise I had to eat the shipping cost twice. Never again will order from them. But the second one I got from them is doing great. I’d call them and take pictures Incase worst comes to worst. I reread your original post and my little guy had the exact same symptoms. I hope for the best for your little guy.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I personally don’t see a problem with it, but since sulcatas grow quick, it would only last a few months before you need to put them in something bigger or an 8x4 closed chamber, which would last them until they’re big enough to move outside.

Yep....the reason is because of the size your Sully will get to soon, coupled with the fact that as they grow they need space to walk and roam and exercise and generally move about.

For example, here is our 4 year old 70 pound (plus) Sully.... You can see that they quickly outgrow tub enclosures and need large spaces.

334AB8F7-810B-4EAC-90EB-5ECC3318469D.jpeg
Sully at 4 years and a few months

Lewisville, Texas
O
i love having a baby sulcata but i cant wait for him to get bigger and not be so fragile haha

Lewisville, Texas
Yep....the reason is because of the size your Sully will get to soon, coupled with the fact that as they grow they need space to walk and roam and exercise and generally move about.

For example, here is our 4 year old 70 pound (plus) Sully.... You can see that they quickly outgrow tub enclosures and need large spaces.

View attachment 254401
Sully at 4 years and a few months
I can always buy a bigger tub, i just want to make sure the humidity and heat are good

Lewisville, Texas
Hey everyone, my hatchling sulcata tortoise, Franklin, whom I ordered from “tortoise town” and arrived Thursday, October 4th, is gasping for air and acting lethargic. His substrate is eco earth coconut fiber substrate, mixed with cedar wood chips I believe. He is in a black storage tub that I got from tractor supply co, Kamp Kenyan showed how he used them in one of his sulcata care videos. I have a red 100 watt nightlight on one side,and a 100 watt daytime lamp on the other side. In the middle of his tub I have a zoomed uvb rectangular light. He has a half log on his hotter side, and a little cave rock that the red light shines on, with moist spaghnum moss inside to keep the humidity inside his cave up. The temperature in his tub ranges from 80 degrees to 104 on his basking spot. He has a shallow water dish, and is fed springmix, st Augustine grass, yellow squash, cucumber, purslane flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, and as an occasional treat, a strawberry. Now that I have covered his setup and diet, ill go over his case.
He is a couple months old, and as previously stated arrived the 4th of October. Recently he has been acting lethargic. He is sleeping most of the day, and gasping on his basking spot. He occasionally pulls his arms and legs inwards, then lets out a squeak, what must either be a sneeze or cough. I cant find any other case of a sulcata hatchling squeaking. I have a vet appointment planned, but I am very worried. Other people seem to consider replacing their tortoise if it gets sick/dies, but I am willing to do everything to keep this hatchling going strong. Any advice is appreciated.
I ordered from them about 2 1/2 years ago they sent a sick tortoise my dad and I cared for him 24 hrs a day 7 days a week for a month the little guys eyes wouldn’t even open. He wouldn’t eat. Once he passed I called them and told them and argued sent pictures they still didn’t believe me. They were saying it was my fault for getting a tortoise in the first place. In the end they gave me my money back towards a new tortoise I had to eat the shipping cost twice. Never again will order from them. But the second one I got from them is doing great. I’d call them and take pictures Incase worst comes to worst. I reread your original post and my little guy had the exact same symptoms. I hope for the best for your little guy.
Youre lucky in that they even responded to you. It has been over 2 days and they have not even sent me a “get well soon”

Lewisville, Texas
Everyone, another update. I noticed just now that the bottom of his shell feels soft. If I apply a little bit of pressure to the underside of his shell. It’s kind of squishy and caves in a little bit. I’m not sure if it has been like this, or if it is has just come up. He’s under 6 months old, and I’m looking for- you guessed it, advice.i cut him up some st Augustine grass, a purslane flower, a tiny bit of fresh aloe Vera, and a thin half slice of yellow squash. I sprinkled this little salad with calcium dust, but Are there any other actions i can take to ensure his shell hardens up and stays growing stronge?

Lewisville, Texas
Everyone, another update. I noticed just now that the bottom of his shell feels soft. If I apply a little bit of pressure to the underside of his shell. It’s kind of squishy and caves in a little bit. I’m not sure if it has been like this, or if it is has just come up. He’s under 6 months old, and I’m looking for- you guessed it, advice.i cut him up some st Augustine grass, a purslane flower, a tiny bit of fresh aloe Vera, and a thin half slice of yellow squash. I sprinkled this little salad with calcium dust, but Are there any other actions i can take to ensure his shell hardens up and stays growing stronge?
Best way i could describe it would be like a plastic tupperware lid, the top doesn’t feel this way but the bottom of his shell, as previously stated feels like a Tupperware lid

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Best way i could describe it would be like a plastic tupperware lid, the top doesn’t feel this way but the bottom of his shell, as previously stated feels like a Tupperware lid
I think that is quite normal in a baby, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to confirm. Keep up the good work and enjoy your baby.[emoji4]

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Update???!!![emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Update???!!![emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
2 questions and if you have already addressed that, my apologies. 1) what do you use to measure temps and humidity, 2) WHERE are your temp gagues? Meaning are they right at substrate level? If no, they need to be moved there, where your baby tort is. As we know, warm air is lighter and tends to go up. Our torts stay „down there”it’s imperative for the keeper to know the EXACT temps at basking spot, inside the hides and generally all over the substrate. I suspect RI in your baby tort. Soak him in WARM (betw 95 and 100F) water at least once a day, twice is even better. Bump his ambient temp up to 85 all over his enclosure. One more question is the enclosure open on top or covered with a lid?

Lewisville, Texas
I LOOOOOVVVVE these ones. They are by far the best on the market and reasonably priced too. The only catch is that it usually takes months to get one. I like the T13 model or larger for babies.
https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages

I have 8 of their cages and I give them an A+++ for quality, support, customer service and overall excellence as a company. I wish all businesses would follow their example.
How do you keep up the heat/humidity in these cages?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you keep up the heat/humidity in these cages?
Damp substrate will keep the humidity up easily. People who have struggled with humidity in open toped covered enclosure are always pleasantly surprised at how high their humidity stays with a minimum of effort.

There are many ways to heat them. A CHE can be used, but my preference is to use radiant heat panels set on a thermostat. This will maintain the ambient temp wherever you set the thermostat. Then, when the basking lamp turns on each day, it will warm the enclosure even more, raising ambient up to where you want it during the day. Every enclosure is different and room conditions where the enclosure sits will be different from house to house, so some element of testing and customization will be necessary. I use 43 watt bulbs in winter and go down to 25 watt bulbs all summer. This gets my ambient up to around 90 each day, depending on the weather and room temp.

Lewisville, Texas
Damp substrate will keep the humidity up easily. People who have struggled with humidity in open toped covered enclosure are always pleasantly surprised at how high their humidity stays with a minimum of effort.

There are many ways to heat them. A CHE can be used, but my preference is to use radiant heat panels set on a thermostat. This will maintain the ambient temp wherever you set the thermostat. Then, when the basking lamp turns on each day, it will warm the enclosure even more, raising ambient up to where you want it during the day. Every enclosure is different and room conditions where the enclosure sits will be different from house to house, so some element of testing and customization will be necessary. I use 43 watt bulbs in winter and go down to 25 watt bulbs all summer. This gets my ambient up to around 90 each day, depending on the weather and room temp.
Could you show photos of your setups with the closed chambers you ordered? I know its a lot to ask, but i want to give a good home and want the best possible setup