Helwith Sulcata in AZ

skyhashu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Apache Junction, AZ
I have a sulcata that is two years old. For most of the summer I let him live in my back yard in Apachee Junction. I have a 40gal tank that I can move him inside if needed or is there a care for outside I can do for him? I like him outside because he has more room to move but I have noticed he is not moving nearly as much as he was last month.

Thanks for any help,
Ian H.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise needs a large indoor enclosure with the proper heating and lighting for night and cooler winter days, and you can use the outdoor enclosure for nicer days.

Your sulcata should not be outside without shelter and heat anytime the night temp is dropping below 70. 37? That could kill him. However, a 40 gallon is WAY too small. You'll need to get something much bigger. A large horse trough could work, but building some walls on a 4x8' sheet of plywood will work better.

If you build a heated box like the one in my thread, you could move him outside full time in the spring, but you'll still need somewhere for him to escape your summer heat. Underground works best for this.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

skyhashu

5 Year Member
Apache Junction, AZ
Thanks, I was already looking at those enclosures you posted. He does fine outside during the summer since he has ample coverage from the sun and we started his hole do him and gave it extra coverage. These were the first cool nights in our area and I wanted him to be protected. I really appreciate all the help. I'll probably build the bigger of your enclosure so he will have it for the future and put in the heater.

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
I'm not far from you, in Gilbert AZ. I had a house made for my tortoise, about 2 1/2' x 3 1/2' very much like a dog house. Insulated it with foil lined bubble wrap type stuff I bought off Amazon, taped all surface areas except the floor. I added a " hound heater" cost about $100 also on Amazon, and added a vinyl door flap, double layered with strips to keep the heat in. I put Straw inside too. My Shelby, whose about 17" long stays outside year round. She comes out on the cooler days just to sun bath and graze a bit on the grass then back to her home she goes. I've had her about a year now, but literally she had lived her entire life outside here in Gilbert, with shelter & straw. No heat until last winter when I took over her care. Just letting you know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm not far from you, in Gilbert AZ. I had a house made for my tortoise, about 2 1/2' x 3 1/2' very much like a dog house. Insulated it with foil lined bubble wrap type stuff I bought off Amazon, taped all surface areas except the floor. I added a " hound heater" cost about $100 also on Amazon, and added a vinyl door flap, double layered with strips to keep the heat in. I put Straw inside too. My Shelby, whose about 17" long stays outside year round. She comes out on the cooler days just to sun bath and graze a bit on the grass then back to her home she goes. I've had her about a year now, but literally she had lived her entire life outside here in Gilbert, with shelter & straw. No heat until last winter when I took over her care. Just letting you know.

Nice little Sully House you have there Alison. Tks for the pix!