Henry Doorly Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Just went to the zoo today and decided to post some of my better pics :)

yellow anaconda
yellowanaconda.jpg

Mexican iguana
mexicaniguana.jpg

shark
shark.jpg

white handed gibbon
whitehandedgibbon.jpg

spider monkey
spidermonkey.jpg

francois langur
francoislangur.jpg

Then of course all the shelled creatures
African Side-neck
DSC_0198.jpg

some sort of turtle
DSC_0008.jpg

Sea turtle
DSC_0038.jpg

Sonoran box turtle
sonoranboxturtle.jpg

Radiated tortoise
radiated.jpg

Home's Hingeback tortoises
homeshingeback.jpg

Flat-tailed tortoises
flattailedtortoises.jpg

Desert tortoise
DSC_0021.jpg

Redfoot
DSC_0183.jpg

Burmese Mountain Tortoise
burmesemountan.jpg

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
mctlong said:
Great pics, thanks for sharing. That baby francois langur is sooo cute!

Isn't it, though? There was another little tiny baby there, too, and then the little teenage one that kept stealing food from everyone and causing problems :)

Oh, just thought I'd also add that that little Burmese Mountain tortoise is the one that inspired me to finally get the tortoise I had really been wanting. I went to the zoo in late May, saw and fell in love with him (when he tried to eat my finger through the glass) and had Carl within two weeks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for sharing. Great pics.

Just noticed. As I was looking at your zoo pics, an old Frasier show is on the tv and Frasier is at a Zoo doing a speech for fund raising. Too funny.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
just went there 2 months ago, and the aquarium was closed lol, and i want that yellow anaconda............ XD

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Ethan D said:
just went there 2 months ago, and the aquarium was closed lol, and i want that yellow anaconda............ XD

That one was a baby, in the enclosure right next to it, there was the big one, about 5 times bigger :)

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
futureleopardtortoise said:
Ethan D said:

That one was a baby, in the enclosure right next to it, there was the big one, about 5 times bigger :)

Eh..... they don't get much bigger then BCC's males around 8 foot, females around 10-14, not too big at all, much better than a pissed off 20 foot retic :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What no lions and tigers and zebra pictures? :D Our zoo is still in my humble opinion the best one in the country (with one in Florida coming in really close). My daughter has been wanting us to go to the zoo, but with my work, her work, my knee, and the heat we have not yet made it. I use to go there every year for my birthday. My favorite family picture of me and all my children was taken there on the big tortoise statue back in one of the gardens. I feel a trip to Omaha coming in the near future. :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Jacqui said:
What no lions and tigers and zebra pictures? :D Our zoo is still in my humble opinion the best one in the country (with one in Florida coming in really close). My daughter has been wanting us to go to the zoo, but with my work, her work, my knee, and the heat we have not yet made it. I use to go there every year for my birthday. My favorite family picture of me and all my children was taken there on the big tortoise statue back in one of the gardens. I feel a trip to Omaha coming in the near future. :D

We skipped the big cats and the zebras. They are just so out of the way :p You should definitely come up soon, there are a LOT of baby monkeys in the Jungle

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
I love our zoo!

Just curious, how often do you go?

futureleopardtortoise said:
The jungle is always my favorite part, I never miss it.

and you too, how often do you go?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I go at least once a month, we have a zoo pass, and going twice more than pays for it, especially since the Imax is free with the zoo pass, too.

I will say that I've been to a lot of zoos around the midwest, and while our diversity, overall size, and indoor exhibits (jungle, desert, etc.) can't be beat, there are a lot of zoos with much better outdoor layouts. They are planning on completely rearranging the outdoor layout through out the next five years though, which will be pretty interesting to see

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The membership is a great deal, plus the fact you can get into other zoos. The only one I think even comes close to HD Zoo is one in Florida. I had a lot more hands on exhibits where you can get close, touch and feed a wide variety of animals. It has been interesting to watch how HD Zoo has evolved and change through the years.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I hit our zoo about 2x a year, since I work most Saturdays and don't have a ton of stamina lately. We also have a pass, and I also have been to a LOT of zoos. I have seen bits and pieces elsewhere I like better than the Omaha Zoo, but I have not seen any I like better overall- including San Diego.

I really like the rain forest (I keep wanting to release all my red-footeds in there!), desert dome, kingdoms of the night, aquarium, butterfly house, and some others. A bit disappointed overall with the Madagascar exhibit- a basic box full of boxes. :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Madkins007 said:
I hit our zoo about 2x a year, since I work most Saturdays and don't have a ton of stamina lately. We also have a pass, and I also have been to a LOT of zoos. I have seen bits and pieces elsewhere I like better than the Omaha Zoo, but I have not seen any I like better overall- including San Diego.

I really like the rain forest (I keep wanting to release all my red-footeds in there!), desert dome, kingdoms of the night, aquarium, butterfly house, and some others. A bit disappointed overall with the Madagascar exhibit- a basic box full of boxes. :(

The thing I like about Madagascar is the outdoor lemur exhibit. I always thought that my birds would desert me for the jungle if I ever took them in :p

Status
Not open for further replies.