Hens and chicks succulent OK?

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Can my leopard tort eat He s and chicks succulent? I have a ton and fall is coming I was thinking of replanting a bunch in his enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There's more than one succulent commonly known as Hens & Chicks. Can you post a photo so we can identify which one we're talking about please? :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
My understanding is that most, if not all succulents are edible by tortoises. Some, they might turn their noses up at, but once they've found one they like they go hog wild on them.
While growing up, we had a grass in the yard called, "sour grass". The stalks of the grass were very sour. There is a type of jade mis-called, "miniature jade" due in part to the small leaves. It is really an elephant bush. None of my tortoise have ever had a hankering for them. So one day I plucked two or three leaves off and ate them. WOW were these leaves sour!! Taught me clearly why these plants were safe around the tortoises.
As with any plant, make sure it is from a no spray location. With no fertilizers, no herbicides and no insecticides.
Other questions just ask and we'll do our best to answer them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My understanding is that most, if not all succulents are edible by tortoises. Some, they might turn their noses up at, but once they've found one they like they go hog wild on them.
While growing up, we had a grass in the yard called, "sour grass". The stalks of the grass were very sour. There is a type of jade mis-called, "miniature jade" due in part to the small leaves. It is really an elephant bush. None of my tortoise have ever had a hankering for them. So one day I plucked two or three leaves off and ate them. WOW were these leaves sour!! Taught me clearly why these plants were safe around the tortoises.
As with any plant, make sure it is from a no spray location. With no fertilizers, no herbicides and no insecticides.
Other questions just ask and we'll do our best to answer them.
I believe some of the SEDUM are a "NO" for torts.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Here is African tortoise safe list ( http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm) for succulents. Half-way down you'll see, "Sedum Spp."

SUCCULENTS:

Abutilon -
Aeonium
*Agave - Spp. -Leaves; Flowers- (all)
Albuca
~~Aloe Vera-Leaves; Flowers - (all)
Amarican Aloe Spp.
*Begonias
Echeveria Spp.
Haworthia reinwardtii (very slow growing)
Hens & chickens Sempervivum tectorum
Hens & chicks E. cheveria Spp.
Ice plants (Mesembryanthemaceae family)
~~Kalanchoe Spp.
Live-forever- Orphine (Sedum purpureum)
Mimulus F Aurantica
~~Opuntias Spp.
~~Portulaca
Sedum Spp.
Spiderwort- Tradescantia pinetorum,occidentalis
Tradescantia crassula Link & Otto
Yucca (Yucca species)