Heosemys spinosa keeping

Raptorn

10 Year Member!
Hello,

Anybody keeping and breeding this species here?
How do you keep them and what diet do you provide?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Welcome!

I keep G. spengleri...care would be similar, but I think H. spinosa likes it much warmer. Primarily an invertebrate hunter, with fruit and veg to balance their diet. They'd like a loamy, overgrown, very humid environment.

Most references say they are crepuscular, so they might be a bit of a bore. lol

Not sure if @tortadise has any experience...

@enchilada @harris may also have specific details...

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I have been interested in this species as they are easy to find here. This is an interesting read. They are reportedly very hard to keep and breed.
I follow a large turtle breeder in Kalimantan (Borneo) who breeds large numbers of cuora ambinensis, platynota etc. He had to abandon his spinosa breeding venture (25+ adult specimens) because it was going so badly and many unfortunately died.
The commonly held belief here is that they need to be fed almost exclusively fruit. This does not seem to be backed up by research but probably suggests that they are very picky eaters.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I fed mine lots of worms and snails. The Bronx Zoo is very successful at breeding them.

marrufamar

5 Year Member
I have been interested in this species as they are easy to find here. This is an interesting read. They are reportedly very hard to keep and breed.
I follow a large turtle breeder in Kalimantan (Borneo) who breeds large numbers of cuora ambinensis, platynota etc. He had to abandon his spinosa breeding venture (25+ adult specimens) because it was going so badly and many unfortunately died.
The commonly held belief here is that they need to be fed almost exclusively fruit. This does not seem to be backed up by research but probably suggests that they are very picky eaters.
Can you give us a name or clue, who was breed the platynota and spinosa in borneo?

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Can you give us a name or clue, who was breed the platynota and spinosa in borneo?

I don't know him personally, but here's the video about the spinosa breeding venture going badly wrong.