"Herbal Hay"

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Herbal tortoise hay - Tortoise Supply

I recently tried out the Herbal Tortoise Hay from Tortoise Supply and I was really impressed by it.

I own a young Gpb leopard tortoise and she devours it every time I offer it. I place a small pinch on top of the Mazuri and she will mow through it.

I would not be discouraged by the price as it really isn't intended to be a meal replacement, but rather, it is ideally used as a treat or snack.

One other thing, it smells fantastic. It has a potpourri smell to it and is very pleasant.

I have had my bag for several weeks and I still have half left. Like I said, I add a small pinch when I offer Mazuri so it should last quite a while. I've spend more on a single dog bone that my dog finishes in one sitting so after looking at it from that perspective, it's really not a bad deal at all.

Josh

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Herbal tortoise hay - Tortoise Supply

I had ordered some too and made a thread on it. I too love the smell. I just looked on his (Tyler's) sight, tortoisesupply and he now has dried dandelion. Will be trying that soon too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Herbal tortoise hay - Tortoise Supply

I've tried it mixed in with greens with my leopards, Russians, sulcatas and dozens of hatchling sulcatas. They all ate it up with gusto.

One aspect of this product that Tyler mentioned to me was that it would be good for people who have to rely on grocery store greens all winter long. It's a good way to add some nutrition and fiber to the greens.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

This hay would not really be suitable for Hermann's, would it...?

But the dried dandelions would?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: RE: Herbal tortoise hay - Tortoise Supply

Moozillion said:
This hay would not really be suitable for Hermann's, would it...?

But the dried dandelions would?

I would feed the hay too. It seems to consist of herbs and flowers, so chances are a hermann's will like it. Peter even munches on grass hay if he's bored. :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Cool!!! Thanks! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a link to it: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

I LOVE this stuff!!! Better still, my tortoises love it!

Usually by this time of year, we've had lots of rain and the native weeds are in full swing. Most years I am feeding nothing but weeds at this time of year. This year we've had almost no rain and instead have been having high temps in the 70s and 80s for the last 6-7 weeks. Its great tortoise weather, but the weeds aren't loving it. The shorter days and cold nights have brought any of my others plants to a slow crawl too. Even though its warm and sunny, all the plants still know it winter. Soooooo, the bottom line is, I am not able to grow much tortoise food right now. The cactus, grape vines and mulberry trees are all dormant and I've been forced to resort to {gasp} grocery store foods...

My grass plots are doing fine, and that is the bulk of the diets for all my sulcatas and leopards, but russians aren't really grass eaters. I've been using a variety of greens and spring mix. I sprinkle some calcium on 2 or 3 days a week, and that makes me feel better about it, but I still don't like it.

Tyler sent me this herbal hay mix a couple of months ago, and I absolutely love it. I drop some greens in, sprinkle some of this stuff on top and walk away. The tortoises love it. They don't leave one crumb of it behind. This is SOOOOOO much better for them than plain spring mix or leafy greens. I have no way to measure exactly how much better for them it is to have this variety mixed in, but I feel immeasurably better about feeding them with this added to their diet.

I HIGHLY recommend this product for anyone who feeds grocery store foods to their tortoises.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for the tip. We gave lots weed to our torts too. But no rain this year so we feed them with the greens that we grow ourselves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think some people don't buy it because $25 seems kinda steep. But the stuff lasts a long time. I've been sprinkling it on the food of 20 russian hatchlings for two months and I still have to thirds of the original bag left.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I received a free sample, tried it on all my tortoises, and gave the rest of the bag to Will. I sprinkled it over the tortoises' food and none of my tortoises ate that day.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So, what exactly is in it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have that stuff too. When I first got it, they seemed (leopard and Russian) too like it. Now, they won't touch it. I even mix it into different stuff, trying to disguise it and no go. It is a big bag. Has all kinds of stuff in it and smells good too me. I keep trying, as I do want them to eat it. I do have to use grocery store greens:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
AnnV said:
So, what exactly is in it?

Top secret.

*We are not posting a list of our ingredients in this mix. As we learned with our seed mixes, our competition was eager to copy our "formula" with the seeds as they would be with this. Rest assured that the ingredients are all beneficial and safe to tortoises and can be used in everyday diets. We hired a botanist and a nutritionist both to ensure this was the most complete diet like this for a tortoise specific diet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well yeah ! 25 dollars for 1pound thats crazy. Is it made from a golden rose bush wow . Thats higher than giraffe booty!!!!!!!!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I will have to give it a try, sometimes you just have to buy a bag to see for yourself and at the same time help support a good company like tortoisesupply

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mike taylor said:
Well yeah ! 25 dollars for 1pound thats crazy. Is it made from a golden rose bush wow . Thats higher than giraffe booty!!!!!!!!!

It isn't cheap. But, even though my torts now won't eat it, it is something I will keep trying until they do. You do get a lot in the bag and will just make the grocery store greens a better food to feed.