Hercules and Athena from Michigan

JWill

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
We acquired two Russian tortoises for our daughters from some folks on Craigslist about a year ago. They thought they were about 8 years old but didn't know for sure. I don't know how long they had them or where they came from. They came with a large aquarium, a heat lamp and daylight lamp, a hide/home, water dish and food dish. IMG_6372.JPG

We decided that they really needed more room so we built a larger enclosure from a table we got from a friend. Originally it had boards across the front but we decided we really wanted to be able to see in so my wife picked up some tempered glass from the ReStore and I framed some in to make windows in the front. Hercules (smaller male) is happy to be able to run away from Athena who seems to really enjoy sitting halfway on top of him.
IMG_2216.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

You are to be applauded for trying to give the tortoises more room, and I hate to shoot you down, but that tort table isn't big enough for one Russian, let alone two. Also, try to figure out a way to hang the lights instead of using the clamp. Those clamps have been known to fail, causing fire. If you make another cross piece of wood going across the middle, end to end, you can then hang the lights from a chain, and move them a bit lower to help heat the enclosure.

Mo & Bolt

Uk
Hello I am same as you I inherited two torts males. And one of mine was constantly mounting the other. Then I noticed that he was being bullied, he stopped eating, lost weight , and was constantly trying to escape, and he was being bitten on the legs . Please read my torts story. In the end they had to be separated. So strange as they had lived together for 20 yrs , but it was being put into new surroundings that trigger off his dominaance . It was this site that helped me realise what was happening to poor old Bolt 50 yrs old. They apparently live solitary all their life, don't need a companion. And will fight over dominaance if put together . That's exactly what happened to mine. So watch for the signs , but I hope they live happerly together. Photo of deviding fence

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9