Herd of big sulcatas

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Alabama
Saw some very large sulcatas at an exotic animal sale today, there was 7 fully grown, I believe all are males . They are at least 28-32” carapace length, a few of them are not really pyramided too bad and look good. 2 of them were having a conversation to decide who was the baddest tortoise in the house . These guys are at least 125-150 lbs

Attachments

• 14E784ED-8B58-459D-A469-492EBE433FF1.jpeg
    14E784ED-8B58-459D-A469-492EBE433FF1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • CB68C35B-5B1D-4AC9-A985-5659D824F6A6.jpeg
    CB68C35B-5B1D-4AC9-A985-5659D824F6A6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
I will find out how much they sell for. I see big make sulcatas here all the time, they usually bring $600-800

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Saw some very large sulcatas at an exotic animal sale today, there was 7 fully grown, I believe all are males . They are at least 28-32” carapace length, a few of them are not really pyramided too bad and look good. 2 of them were having a conversation to decide who was the baddest tortoise in the house . These guys are at least 125-150 lbs
What moron put them all together? It doesn't take but a minute for one to crack the shell of the other open in the confines of a little pen like that.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Where in the heck did somebody get 7 big sulcatas? They are all being sold by the same guy. I guess this is a result of all of those first cute little babies that came into the country 20 ish years ago , that are all becoming giants now, and their caregivers have gotten too old to take care of them . Hey Tom, are most sulcatas male? it seems like I always see big males but hardly ever any females.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
these may very well be close to 200lbs , I 'm going to take a tape measure tomorrow to see just how long they are

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where in the heck did somebody get 7 big sulcatas? They are all being sold by the same guy. I guess this is a result of all of those first cute little babies that came into the country 20 ish years ago , that are all becoming giants now, and their caregivers have gotten too old to take care of them . Hey Tom, are most sulcatas male? it seems like I always see big males but hardly ever any females.
The females are easy keepers and egg producers. They are highly sought after and valuable. We always see males because nobody needs more than one. Everyone keeps all their females and tend to give away surplus males. The males also get much larger, more expensive to house and feed, and more destructive. These are all contributing factors to why people tend to give away the males.

We've been breeding them since the late 80s/early 90's. There wasn't much need for imports after that started.

They can get over 100 pounds in 8-10 years.