Here comes Nate! A few questions if power is lost...

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
We are here in direct path of hurricane nate, supposed to hit us as a possible cat 2. Theres no time to evac now. So as the sirens wail and its hours away from impact i was wondering....if we do lose power, and most likely, i think trailer parks are the first to go....what are some things i can do to keep my Chele from getting too cold? I have flash lights and a work lamp or two, but as far as mobile heat for him......? I dont think these will help much. Couldnt find any hand warmers anywhere so i dont know what else i might be able to do

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry yo have learned that yet another hurricane is on its way. :(

Stay safe and take care. :)

N

no one

My thirst thought is keep him on your skin... I don't know what else, sorry. Stay save!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does it get that cold where you are?
Put him in a small area, like a box and add a blanket or two to cover him. Be sure there's enough room for him to get out from under the blankets.
You could also put a battery powered light over a small box with him in it and cover with towel or blanket and again be sure there's room for him to get out from under the light.
Good luck.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you could fill a sock with rice and heat it in a microwave , or heat rocks in the oven (bigger the better) , just watch he cannot get close enough to burn himself while their still real hot , a box in a closed box works pretty well , make sure to monitor how hot it is where the turtle is .......... unless he's a fragile hatchling I don't think it'll get cold enough long enough to harm him , I think tropical hatchling even survive cold weather ........ it's October in northeast ohio and my p.manni are still outside .... it seems to me getting cold is not a problem as long as it's not for an extended period of time .....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
you could fill a sock with rice and heat it in a microwave , or heat rocks in the oven (bigger the better) , just watch he cannot get close enough to burn himself while their still real hot , a box in a closed box works pretty well , make sure to monitor how hot it is where the turtle is .......... unless he's a fragile hatchling I don't think it'll get cold enough long enough to harm him , I think tropical hatchling even survive cold weather ........ it's October in northeast ohio and my p.manni are still outside .... it seems to me getting cold is not a problem as long as it's not for an extended period of time .....
LOL, if they lose power the microwave won't work.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd assume you'd heat it up when the storm started , it'd stay warm for a day ... most ovens won't run without electric either , a big rock will stay warm for a couple days ........... i'm not the sharpest pencil in the box , but i'm sharper than that .......

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Bad weather occurs in the wild too. Being without power for a few days will slow your tort down, but is unlikely to do any lasting harm.

Make sure your tort is drier than usual if the power goes. Cold and damp can start a respiratory problem.

Otherwise please stay safe and get your tort back under the lamps as sion as you can :)

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Thank you all. We ended up running to Hattiesburg, hopefully far enough away fron nasty Nate. But even so power loss is a possibility where we are from any tornados and such. For now i have him in a smaller cage with his basking lamp.
I suppose it may still be too cold for him if power is lost because the houses a/c running up until then. So if needed i will try a smaller box with blankets. Or may just have to snuggle him up with me for warmth.
He is a little bitty guy, only weighing about 40g. So thats why i am so worried about him getting a little cool

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If needed you could use a car defroster to heat some rice or whatever you have that will hold heat for a while. Hopefully you wont loose electric, Good luck with the storm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i'd assume you'd heat it up when the storm started , it'd stay warm for a day ... most ovens won't run without electric either , a big rock will stay warm for a couple days ........... i'm not the sharpest pencil in the box , but i'm sharper than that .......
I'd never know that stuff to stay warm that long. We use rice bags all the time for human muscle aches etc. they don't last long at all. We aren't getting them as hot as one might if using for heat like in this situation, but I just don't see them lasting long.
I wasn't thinking you weren't bright. It's one of those things sometimes, like when your power does go out and you still turn on the light switch. That's what I was thinking, the way you were thinking and just didn't catch yourself.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you'd find a difference in how long it takes to reach room temperature in stacking a couple in a box inside a box as opposed to actually trying to draw the heat out of them , which is the idea with a heat pack ........... I use large rocks in my ponds to stabilize the water temperatures , they work pretty well , my small ponds temperatures pretty much mimic the river temps by my house ...........

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Back home now, everything is good here aside from tree debris, nothing major.

Sadly though, little Chele did not make it. Not sure if the stress was too much, or too cold...too hot...or if it was just due to his failing to thrive well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Back home now, everything is good here aside from tree debris, nothing major.

Sadly though, little Chele did not make it. Not sure if the stress was too much, or too cold...too hot...or if it was just due to his failing to thrive well
Wow really, so very sorry. Was he sick or not thriving to begin with? So sorry.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
He wasnt sick but just not thriving very well. I got him at 2 months and 28g, and at 7 months he had just made it up to 39g. I had a post or two asking questions and getting advice only to learn he was most likely one who wasnt going to do well. He seemed to do "okay" all comfy in his setup, but i guess the stress of being taken out and stuffed in a smaller cage and running off from a hurricane didnt help him any :(