Here is the 4x8 rendering of Tom's Night Box. With Exploded view.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This is a rendering I did based off of @Tom 's heated night box enclosure. Its probably not a 100% accurate. Door is offset to one side for my personal needs but can easily be moved. Let me know if you see any issues with it. Feed back appreciated.
High res renderings can be downloaded here.

See @Tom 's original thread here for more pics and his original ideas.

Tortoise Night box_ shelter4x8.jpg Tortoise Night box_ shelter4x8_exploded.jpg Tortoise Night box_ shelter4x8_exploded2.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That looks terrific. I would still make the door bigger than you have it shown. I believe that Tom made his 26"wide x 16" high.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Nice work. Looks like a CAD drawing.
For my tort tables & night boxes I tend to build as I go in my head - and been asked for plans several times.
Never can provide them since it's not on paper.
It is great to have something a person could print out - hand to a carpenter and say
" make me this !"

Yunker

Those Drawings are perfect!!... using them currently to build my Sulcata an outdoor nighttime enclosure.
will modify to 26" door. does it matter if the door is one one side or the other.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
You can move the door to the ends or wherever. Mine is at 1 end. My Sulcatas are only about 20 lbs. I made a 26in door but then framed it with a 2x4 on top and one side to make the entrance smaller until they get bigger. Just for energy efficiency purposes.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...m-holding-its-temps-well.113240/#post-1124298

Those Drawings are perfect!!... using them currently to build my Sulcata an outdoor nighttime enclosure.
will modify to 26" door. does it matter if the door is one one side or the other.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
I added an 8 inch exhaust fan to mine over the summer to pull in air. I also added a layer of radiant barrier under the top sheet of wood. To reflect of the infrared light back out. I moved to a new house and my yard was less shaded. So it was getting alot of direct sun light and getting hot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIT16F6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Yunker

You can move the door to the ends or wherever. Mine is at 1 end. My Sulcatas are only about 20 lbs. I made a 26in door but then framed it with a 2x4 on top and one side to make the entrance smaller until they get bigger. Just for energy efficiency purposes.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...m-holding-its-temps-well.113240/#post-1124298

I think I might add the fan later... this is taking much longer then the half day planned. also be sure to double check the drawings, as Tom used 2 x 4 and I used 2 x 2 now I know Why...

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine usually take about 4-5 days, including priming and painting, if I have all day to work on it.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
The only place I call out 2x2 is the interior framing of the lid. This gives you something to screw the interior ply wood to on the lid under side. The rest is 2x4 framing.

I think I might add the fan later... this is taking much longer then the half day planned. also be sure to double check the drawings, as Tom used 2 x 4 and I used 2 x 2 now I know Why...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Those three runners or skids on the bottom that make contact with the ground. I use two inch black drain type PVC plastic, not wood. In the long 8 by 2 - 1/2 box I made with the door at one end I use a two inch piece at the heated end and a 1 - 1/2 at the door end to create a small amount of slope so urine would drain away on it's own to some extent.

I just have some strong thing about not putting wood in contact with soil. When I make fences I usually soak the in the ground end of the post with lightweight motor oil. Wood and soil don't get along well for building purposes.

Seen here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-3