Here we go again?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Okay Im not sure what the heck is going on.. Im starting to think its raining turtles and torts at my house.. lol.. I know this guy/girl isnt a tort.. (web back feet) ;) and his shape is so different from last guy found in back yard..

This guy doesn't look anything like the couple of turtles we have around the yard.. So im not sure where this guy came from.. I don't think he came up from the bayou because his shell is really really clean. I just need to know is it okay to return him in the yard where we found him or what?

I have heard of raining cats and dogs before but never turtles/torts.. lol. :p

Thanks again for any info on this guy and for the record.. I really don't want to keep another one..lol.. of course my daughter is like OH YEA!! but no.. this guy is very spirited!! Very pretty but not really friendly like the tort.. He didnt try to bite or anything.. Just fingers crossed yall say he can go back out in the yard.. If not then I will try and do something..

Also how do you tell aprox how old turtles/torts are??

In the 3rd picture you can see how close the bayou is to my house.. So a turtle here and there is normal but have never seen one like this before not up near the house and deff never saw the tort before. lol.

Thanks yall.. :)
2uhybtf.jpg

rjgwvn.jpg

xgd3sk.jpg

2qwzcd5.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have found a male Gulf Coast box turtle, Terrapene carolina major. Very much native to where you are (unlike the tortoise). I'd just let him go about his business in your yard. :D

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Congrats, you have a resident Gulf Coast box turtle. Return him to yard and enjoy his visits. When I was young and living in West Michigan we had a resident Eastern that lived in our yard and became quite an enjoyable periodic visitor (except during strawberry and raspberry season) LOL.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Thanks Danny and Larry.. :) I placed him in the same area he was found.. I put a small blue dot on his shell so if I see him again I will know its him.

thanks again.. I tried to search for him on the net but couldn't find what type he was.. I posted the pictures here and I dont think it was 5 minutes I had the answer.. lol.. Not only are yall GOOD but yall are FAST!!! lol

Thanks

Oh and Larry, he was near a blackberry/dewberry bush.. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.