Here's a place to rant about people making up stuff about owning a tortoise.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Apparently, correct me if I'm wrong, but according to Karen it is okay to constantly feed your tortoise fruit just so you can get YouTube views lmao. Veggies? What's that? I'm learning to laugh this stuff off cause at the end of the day, my tortoise isn't going to have kidney failure or digestive problems from eating way too much fruit. SMH

Yes but reading your post makes me cry out loud for the tortoises of the world!!?????
It isn’t fair!
Pyramiding....
RI’s......
Infections....
Kidney failures....
Eyes falling out...
Feet not grown....
Shrunken heads!!!!!!! ?

God should just put his foot down and help
ALL the abused animals of the world!
?????

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
It is wise not to get into argument with retarded internet keyboard warriors .
just hide the comment section, your day would be a lot better

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I already heard how wrong it is to have the African tortoise to live in a humid environment, with a water dish.

What drives me nuts is when people post a question like: “hey got a tortoise, (better two), it has a great enclosure (40gallon tank with one damn burning light, no place to escape), great diet - lettuce and strawberries can someone tell me why it can’t open its eyes and what it’s poop is watery?”.
Than we all try to help and give care sheets but people proceed to argue over things in the care sheet or any advice.
For me is like why are you here when you don’t want to change?

Tortoise can be an easy pet- but you need to have the understanding of proper care.
Same goes for dogs and cats and spiders and anything else really.

It is better to admit your faults and make changes as soon as possible than wait and make the animal suffer.
But that’s the problem admitting that we have done something wrong.
We are here not to judge the mistakes but to help fix them.

I am forever grateful for people in this forum who are always teaching me how to provide best care for my little tort.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Yes, sometimes you have to walk away from the conversation.

Everyone is an expert at their opinion.

And life gets better when you don't care what other people think.

There will always be conflict, find your own peace.?

Zoeclare

Uk
A lot of people don't do things deliberately, they just don't know, doesn't mean they need to be spoken to rudely, or frightened. Most people react to advice much better when its presented positively. ( just speaking generally here)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of people don't do things deliberately, they just don't know, doesn't mean they need to be spoken to rudely, or frightened. Most people react to advice much better when its presented positively. ( just speaking generally here)
I think you are correct. It's hard sometimes though when you see so much wrong and all the comments are how cute the tort is and nothing about the poor care. That's when the short to the point posts come out. More anger is really towards those ignoring the obvious but it comes out towards the OP.
Or sometimes when you don't really have time for a long post so you skip past all the kissing up words and just get to the point. Not the right way but it gets help for the tortoise faster and gets others to finally join in on the well being more so then how cute.

Zoeclare

Uk
I think you are correct. It's hard sometimes though when you see so much wrong and all the comments are how cute the tort is and nothing about the poor care. That's when the short to the point posts come out. More anger is really towards those ignoring the obvious but it comes out towards the OP.
Or sometimes when you don't really have time for a long post so you skip past all the kissing up words and just get to the point. Not the right way but it gets help for the tortoise faster and gets others to finally join in on the well being more so then how cute.
I understand, I don't like seeing poorly kept animals either ? I just know I'm the sort of person who really takes things to heart and I can fret about innocuous comments all day, so I try to pass the positivity on so it comes back round! And now I need to go tie dye all my clothes ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What gets to me is the newbies who then argue with your advice. I am fairly experienced and have run a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue for 14 years or so. Yet some 15 yr old kid said I didn't have the experience to be giving advice, and a few other choice words to and about me. The TFO moderators didn't defend me and the Nazi moderator said some choice words of discipline to me. So since then I don't give much advice, I don't feel 'a part of' anymore and I don't even check out TFO daily anymore. In my opinion, let the newbies give the advice. It takes years of tortoise keeping to see and understand what advice goes where. It is hard at times to give the best help you can, and to have some freakin teenybopper insult you and TFO does nothing. Makes me see oh nothing

Zoeclare

Uk
What gets to me is the newbies who then argue with your advice. I am fairly experienced and have run a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue for 14 years or so. Yet some 15 yr old kid said I didn't have the experience to be giving advice, and a few other choice words to and about me. The TFO moderators didn't defend me and the Nazi moderator said some choice words of discipline to me. So since then I don't give much advice, I don't feel 'a part of' anymore and I don't even check out TFO daily anymore. In my opinion, let the newbies give the advice. It takes years of tortoise keeping to see and understand what advice goes where. It is hard at times to give the best help you can, and to have some freakin teenybopper insult you and TFO does nothing. Makes me see oh nothing
I always like your posts because you substantiate advice with first hand experience! And your funny sulcata/bulldozer stories!

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Your advice is golden, to lose it would be so detrimental to the community. You have more first hand experience than most anyone here, and so many fun stories to share!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I already heard how wrong it is to have the African tortoise to live in a humid environment, with a water dish.

What drives me nuts is when people post a question like: “hey got a tortoise, (better two), it has a great enclosure (40gallon tank with one damn burning light, no place to escape), great diet - lettuce and strawberries can someone tell me why it can’t open its eyes and what it’s poop is watery?”.
Than we all try to help and give care sheets but people proceed to argue over things in the care sheet or any advice.
For me is like why are you here when you don’t want to change?

Tortoise can be an easy pet- but you need to have the understanding of proper care.
Same goes for dogs and cats and spiders and anything else really.

It is better to admit your faults and make changes as soon as possible than wait and make the animal suffer.
But that’s the problem admitting that we have done something wrong.
We are here not to judge the mistakes but to help fix them.

I am forever grateful for people in this forum who are always teaching me how to provide best care for my little tort.
All of this is spot on, but here is the problem. Most info sources all repeat the same wrong stuff to these people. Its the same wrong info I was taught 30+ years ago and was teaching to others for nearly 20 years. Its hard to know it is wrong when all the vets, breeders, book authors, and "experts" are all repeating the same wrong info, and they all explain it in a way that seems so logical. Its just wrong, and they don't realize it or know why.

After 20 years of failure when following "their" advice, I had to figure it out on my own. Got many puzzle pieces from all over the world. Literally. Still more to learn and more experimentation to do. Always will be.

Because of this, I'm not surprised when people are incredulous, or when they argue. I don't take it personally when they get mad, call me names and leave in a huff. Eventually, they will figure it out, because that old info is wrong and doesn't work, and our new info is right and does work.

See my signature line? Some people have to gain knowledge the hard way. Other people, like you when you first came here, demonstrate some wisdom.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
All of this is spot on, but here is the problem. Most info sources all repeat the same wrong stuff to these people. Its the same wrong info I was taught 30+ years ago and was teaching to others for nearly 20 years. Its hard to know it is wrong when all the vets, breeders, book authors, and "experts" are all repeating the same wrong info, and they all explain it in a way that seems so logical. Its just wrong, and they don't realize it or know why.

After 20 years of failure when following "their" advice, I had to figure it out on my own. Got many puzzle pieces from all over the world. Literally. Still more to learn and more experimentation to do. Always will be.

Because of this, I'm not surprised when people are incredulous, or when they argue. I don't take it personally when they get mad, call me names and leave in a huff. Eventually, they will figure it out, because that old info is wrong and doesn't work, and our new info is right and does work.

See my signature line? Some people have to gain knowledge the hard way. Other people, like you when you first came here, demonstrate some wisdom.

I am blessed that I made it here.
There is so much to learn for all of us.
I take notes on Herbie’s diet, temperature, mood based on surroundings.
It might be helpful one day for something.
I will not question someone like you @Tom when you provide me with 30 years of research, experience that includes the good and the ugly.
I cared for our Russian tortoises wrong - I know that now. There was no info available at all 25+ years ago in small town in Poland.
As a 10 year old kid I was able to learn that they hibernate. ?

Just happy that I have people around that I can get an advice from. ?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Then there are the owners who keep different species together, and show off a picture of their mature male Desert Tortoise mounting their young adult female Sulcata and everyone else thinks it's funny or cute while a few of us are discouraging it and recommending immediate separation, which ultimately won't happen.

NovasArk

Tucson, Az
Hi all - new to this group but want you all to know... THANK YOU!!! I've wanted a tort for 30 yrs but lived in NW Ohio and knew it would be tough to provide. When we were moving to Az 3 yrs ago, I knew I could finally manage more easily. Been stalking you all for over a year, been actively researching Sonoran DTs and Sullies, and I always come back to your group. Joined several FB groups and within 2 weeks un-followed most due to the poor and inaccurate info.
We are building an outdoor enclosure now, which will be divided, and we have 2 Sonoran adoptees arriving in spring from a wonderful wildlife lady in Phx that rehabbed them and has been fostering them for 5 yrs. I wish there was more DT info here, but this forum has helped me determine so much on so many levels. I tell everyone about you who cares to listen. The rest make me cry.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi all - new to this group but want you all to know... THANK YOU!!! I've wanted a tort for 30 yrs but lived in NW Ohio and knew it would be tough to provide. When we were moving to Az 3 yrs ago, I knew I could finally manage more easily. Been stalking you all for over a year, been actively researching Sonoran DTs and Sullies, and I always come back to your group. Joined several FB groups and within 2 weeks un-followed most due to the poor and inaccurate info.
We are building an outdoor enclosure now, which will be divided, and we have 2 Sonoran adoptees arriving in spring from a wonderful wildlife lady in Phx that rehabbed them and has been fostering them for 5 yrs. I wish there was more DT info here, but this forum has helped me determine so much on so many levels. I tell everyone about you who cares to listen. The rest make me cry.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do!
Welcome, I am so jealous, Sonoran desert tortoises, or actually any in the Gopherus species are just sweet tortoises. Shouldn't take them to the PNW. I want a Texas tort, but can't. Please post pictures as we (I) love them

NovasArk

Tucson, Az
Welcome, I am so jealous, Sonoran desert tortoises, or actually any in the Gopherus species are just sweet tortoises. Shouldn't take them to the PNW. I want a Texas tort, but can't. Please post pictures as we (I) love them
Maggie - PNW?