Herman (now star) tortoise not eating.

Dipa

Location (City and/or State)
Mahesana,Gujarat,India
When he was sneezing he maybe got too cold over night when he was in your house. How are the temps at night in your house ?
The eyes of your tort seem not to be okay. They look a little bit puffy and that is often a sign for a respiration infect.
Btw: Cookie is an indian star tortoise.
To help your baby that you can`t release now as it is sick into the wild:
Make sure that he stays warm night and day at 85 F. You might need a heat source for nighttimes. Daytime he should have a lot of sunshine and warmth but shade too. How are your day temps outside now ?
Soak your baby in 102 F warm water twice every day for half an hour that he stays well hydrated. Add baby carrot food to the soaking water that Cookie may get some vitamins and minerals into his body.
Tortoises often stop eating after antibiotic shots. Offer him food every day and wait. Keep him warm and hydrated. That is all you can do but it is a lot for your sick baby.
Please do the things I wrote above for the life of Cookie.
Good luck that he soon starts eating again.
I loved it...
I offer him food like everytime
My family tries to feed him
I kept him hydrated.
And i will also use baby carrot.
Btw, vet gave me multivitamin syrup which i add into his water.
So is the syrup useful?
If yes then i have to ise baby carrot??

Thnx a lot

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
And if he will not eat what should i do?
And how long he can thrive himself??
If he is not eating shall i try to force feed him or force feed him by the vet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
15-20C is too cold. He has to bask under a heat source that reaches 34-36 C. He has to stay in heated area that is always 27-29C day and night with the basking spot available until he starts eating. Then the over all temp can be lowered to 26C but leaving the basking temp always the same and available except at night.
I wouldn't give the vitamins except once a week but do the baby carrot food 1-2 times a day.
If your outside temps do not get to the temps I listed then keep him inside in a proper heated enclosure. I big plastic storage tote will work for now. As big as you can buy. Even a cement mixing tub works too.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
15-20C is too cold. He has to bask under a heat source that reaches 34-36 C. He has to stay in heated area that is always 27-29C day and night with the basking spot available until he starts eating. Then the over all temp can be lowered to 26C but leaving the basking temp always the same and available except at night.
I wouldn't give the vitamins except once a week but do the baby carrot food 1-2 times a day.
If your outside temps do not get to the temps I listed then keep him inside in a proper heated enclosure. I big plastic storage tote will work for now. As big as you can buy. Even a cement mixing tub works too.
K so i will try to do that but the other members are saying 85 F so it is like 30 C at day

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
80-85 either is okay.
Your doing fine. Your here asking for help and learning. You took him to a vet. I think your making a great owner.
We all had too learn. It can seem overwhelming at first. Just hang in there and you'll do fine.

Bee62

Germany
The temp is about 15 to 20 C at night
You wrote that Cookie roams free your house. On the floor there is always a cold draught. Please put him overnight in a big plastic tub and keep him warm. 15- 20 C is too cold for him now.
Can you buy a ceramic heat emitter that produces warmth but no light, because tortoises should sleep in totally darkness.

Bee62

Germany
And if he will not eat what should i do?
And how long he can thrive himself??
If he is not eating shall i try to force feed him or force feed him by the vet?
Wait with any forced feeding. Your baby can get along without food for 1 or two weeks I suspect.
To keep him warm night and day and to soak him in baby carrot food is much more important at present.

Bee62

Germany
I am confused and i think i am not a good owner :'(
No, definitely not. You are asking for help and are willing to learn and do things that your baby tort needs now.
You are a good owner.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
You wrote that Cookie roams free your house. On the floor there is always a cold draught. Please put him overnight in a big plastic tub and keep him warm. 15- 20 C is too cold for him now.
Can you buy a ceramic heat emitter that produces warmth but no light, because tortoises should sleep in totally darkness.
So in night what i do?
Keep the bulb on or off?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Wait with any forced feeding. Your baby can get along without food for 1 or two weeks I suspect.
To keep him warm night and day and to soak him in baby carrot food is much more important at present.
K
I will do that..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Bee62

Germany
I know that
But it is not available here . I h ave to ship it and it will almost take 1 week
Can you keep your tort warm at night until you get a che maybe with a oil radiator or something else ?