Herman (now star) tortoise not eating.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
We dont have heater at home
I know i am not good owner for him
But i am trying. To do the needed
Why do you punish yourself ? There is no need to do that. You are no bad tortoise owner. You are worried about your tort and you love him or her. You do the things that your tort baby need. All these points count a lot !

I think you need no heater at home because it is always warm enough where you live ?

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Why do you punish yourself ? There is no need to do that. You are no bad tortoise owner. You are worried about your tort and you love him or her. You do the things that your tort baby need. All these points count a lot !

I think you need no heater at home because it is always warm enough where you live ?
You are great...

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Thank you, but you are too !:) Have a wonderful day.:)
You too...
He eats cucumber
And now i tried to give him cilantro but he refuges.
I have gave him beans I don't exactly know the name but he really enjoyed it and i read that beans are not good
Although he mostly eats the outer layer now o dont give him that
I introduce him with other greens as per the list
But he shows no interest
I think he will gradually likes it
He also dont shows any interest in any kind of grass

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You too...
He eats cucumber
I have gave him beans I don't exactly know the name but he really enjoyed it and i read that beans are not good
But he shows no interest

Try mixing other foods in with the cucumber. Cut it up into really small pieces, and mix them all together. Cucumber has little to no nutrients and is mostly water.

Bee62

Germany
You too...
He eats cucumber
But he shows no interest
What have you fed him since the 6 months you have him ? Does he has calcium to eat ?

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
What have you fed him since the 6 months you have him ? Does he has calcium to eat ?
Inmy area there are few owners of indian star
they recommend me tomatoes.. sorry that i dont have that much knowledge that time but he on;y eats tomatoes if i try to give him another veggies he rejects
he even reject any kind of grass or flowers which are edible
i gave him cucumber which includes calcium
he sometimes it like okra, zucchini and sometimes beans i dont know the exact name of that bean but its green one but not bigone..

Bee62

Germany
Give these threads a read:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/
Inmy area there are few owners of indian star
they recommend me tomatoes.. sorry that i dont have that much knowledge that time but he on;y eats tomatoes if i try to give him another veggies he rejects
he even reject any kind of grass or flowers which are edible
i gave him cucumber which includes calcium
he sometimes it like okra, zucchini and sometimes beans i dont know the exact name of that bean but its green one but not bigone..
Cucumber contains very few vitamins and minerals. Cucumber is no good tortoise food.
Pick natural weeds and chop it with a scissor in very small pieces. Mix it with a little bit cucumber. Your tortoise should learn to eat that.
Do you feed extra calcium ( powder ) to Cookie ? He need extra calcium. Cucumber has too little calcium.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Cucumber contains very few vitamins and minerals. Cucumber is no good tortoise food.
Pick natural weeds and chop it with a scissor in very small pieces. Mix it with a little bit cucumber. Your tortoise should learn to eat that.
Do you feed extra calcium ( powder ) to Cookie ? He need extra calcium. Cucumber has too little calcium.
I read that
I know the calcium need
I gave him calcium powder
And i give him multivitqmin syrup everyday..

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India

Can u tell me why tomatoes and beans are not good for them in detail?
I want to clear this concept in my mind

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Tomatoes contain too much phosphorus (binds to calcium, so it could cause calcium deficiency) and too much sugar (which they can't digest properly, so it could cause gastrointestinal problems).
Beans contain too much protein and starch (same problem as sugar) and some toxic lectins (that's why humans don't eat raw beans!). But you can feed young leaves of bean plants.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Tomatoes contain too much phosphorus (binds to calcium, so it could cause calcium deficiency) and too much sugar (which they can't digest properly, so it could cause gastrointestinal problems).
Beans contain too much protein and starch (same problem as sugar) and some toxic lectins (that's why humans don't eat raw beans!). But you can feed young leaves of bean plants.
Ok
And carrots are good for him??

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Ok
And carrots are good for him??
Also too much starch and sugar. It's not harmful as a treat, but they shouldn't eat vegetables every day. My Hermanns get carrots once or twice a month.