Herman Tortoise hibernating outside in SF Bay Area

ptspringer

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
Hi, This last year I became caretaker for a Hermann's tortoise that grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. She is currently about 70 years old, and was my friend's grandmother's tortoise. Anyway, from what I've been told she has lived outside and hibernated outside for her whole life, in various parts of the bay area, including: The City, Walnut Creek, and Tracy. Anyway, I didn't think I should change anything that has worked for her all these years. I set out a large pile of leaves in her enclosure surrounded by rose bushes, and she burrowed right in and is hibernating now. I also put a lean-to roof over the pile to ensure she does not get wet from rain. I've checked on her once or twice & she seems to be doing fine. We rarely have a hard freeze, which I will monitor.

Is there anything else I should watch out for while she is resting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This question is always tough…

If it has worked for 70 years, in the same area, with the same techniques, then I'd be inclined to continue doing the same thing. But for most people and most tortoises in most situations, I'd say hibernating outside, subject to the fickle whims of Mother Nature, is too dangerous, risky and inconsistent.

Welcome to the forum. I'd love to see pics of a 70+ year old Hermanni. That is a pretty neat thing and very unusual. That might be the oldest tortoise on the forum.