Herman Tortoise will not eat and is sleeping all of the time

Drluke

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, We have a nearly 3 year old Herman Tortoise. Up until about 2 weeks ago all was well. We have been able to get him out into the garden and was enjoying the freedom. In the last week weeks he has virtually stopped eating and wants to stay in his house all of the time.
We have taken him to a vet who has carried out a blood test, the only thing that has come back is that his white blood cells are a bit low. They think this could be caused by stress. They have looked at his living set up and are happy with that. They have x-rayed him and all is clear.
We have been bathing him with reptoboost in the water on the advice of the vet and have now ordered Emeraid Herbivor so we can syringe feed him.
Last year he did a similar thing at the same time of year and came out of it himself but this year it has gone on longer.
If anyone has any advice on anything else we can do I would be very much appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, We have a nearly 3 year old Herman Tortoise. Up until about 2 weeks ago all was well. We have been able to get him out into the garden and was enjoying the freedom. In the last week weeks he has virtually stopped eating and wants to stay in his house all of the time.
We have taken him to a vet who has carried out a blood test, the only thing that has come back is that his white blood cells are a bit low. They think this could be caused by stress. They have looked at his living set up and are happy with that. They have x-rayed him and all is clear.
We have been bathing him with reptoboost in the water on the advice of the vet and have now ordered Emeraid Herbivor so we can syringe feed him.
Last year he did a similar thing at the same time of year and came out of it himself but this year it has gone on longer.
If anyone has any advice on anything else we can do I would be very much appreciated.
Most vets have no idea what they are doing with tortoises. The tortoise isn't eating for a reason. Forcing food into it will solve nothing and likely create myriad new problems. In most cases there is something wrong with the environment. Usually temperatures or lighting. Tell us your four temperature. Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low. Tell us what type of bulbs you are using for heat and UV. Show some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. Hopefully we can help you figure out the problem and correct it.

Here is the current and correct care info:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises estivate (aestivate) during the hottest part of the summer. Was he outside during an especially hot time?

For example, my russian creep of 1.3 were active and eating like there was no tomorrow. Then one day last week they all disappeared and the food was left untouched. I'm confident they will all reappear once the nights and mornings are a bit cooler.

Hopefully that's all that's wrong with him.

I wouldn't force feed a tortoise that small. It's very easy for him to aspirate the solution into his lungs. If you want to get some nutrients into him, add some baby food strained carrots to the soaking water. If his eyes are not puffy (vitamin A deficiency) then instead of strained carrots add some of the Emeraid Herbivore to the soaking water.

Please keep us in the loop. We all learn from others' experiences.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise also find change of environment hard to deal with so it could be a side effect of that after being cooped up inside, having freedom and then back inside etc..... He may be missing the outdoor freedom! We have a hot spell approaching so hopefully you can get him out again but ensure shade, food and water is provided. I use my outside enclosure quite a lot so tooing and frooing is not a problem for my tortoise but sometimes he is down if it is an indoor day! Another thought is that he could of eaten something in the garden if let loose. Good luck to get your tortoise back on track and hope his appetite returns. Meanwhile keep providing the fresh water and fresh veg daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some tortoises estivate (aestivate) during the hottest part of the summer. Was he outside during an especially hot time?

For example, my russian creep of 1.3 were active and eating like there was no tomorrow. Then one day last week they all disappeared and the food was left untouched. I'm confident they will all reappear once the nights and mornings are a bit cooler.

Hopefully that's all that's wrong with him.

I wouldn't force feed a tortoise that small. It's very easy for him to aspirate the solution into his lungs. If you want to get some nutrients into him, add some baby food strained carrots to the soaking water. If his eyes are not puffy (vitamin A deficiency) then instead of strained carrots add some of the Emeraid Herbivore to the soaking water.

Please keep us in the loop. We all learn from others' experiences.
OP is in the UK. If he was somewhere with hot weather, I would agree with you, but it just doesn't ever get hot enough for estivation over there. The current 10 day forecast for London has highs in the low 70s and over night lows in the mid 50s, with intermittent rain. While you and I are in the 100s daily lately with no sign of rain for months.

Drluke

Uk
Thank you all. This year is the first year he has been outside but only when it has been hot - we have reach 90-100 in the garden but he has always had a shaded covered area which he went into when it was too muh for him. I just can't understand that 2 or so weeks ago he was almost running around the garden and now he can't be bothered.

In his indoor enclosure the temp 87 at the warm end and 80 at the cool end. the humidity is 60%. He has lived in this enclosure with similar readings since we got him 2 years ago.

He has

Ceramic Heat Emitter Terrarium Heated Lamps Light Fitting for Lizards Tortoise Snake Chicken Pets Rest with Non Light Screw E27 220-240V, 250W, and Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 Mini Compact UVB Lamp, 13 W for light.

We only take him outside on hot sunny days and as you quite rightly point out there are not too many of them. It was hot yesterday so we took him out but he just hid under the shaded area.

What we want is to get him healthy again so if we are doing anything wrong please let us know and we will put right immediately.

Thank you

Attachments

• Terry 2 12.8.2021.jpg
    Terry 2 12.8.2021.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Terry 12.8.2021.jpg
    Terry 12.8.2021.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 12
  • enclosure indoor 12.8.2021.jpg
    enclosure indoor 12.8.2021.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 11
  • enclosure outside 12.8.2021.jpg