herman tortoise

unexpected

Location (City and/or State)
uk
Hi i just got a herman tortoise any tips and advice would be helpful please. i have done some research about they diet but some saying can eat for example cucumber but then others saying that they cant

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Here is the link to the most comprehensive care guide: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
(also check temperate species care sheet at the bottom of that post). It could be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's worth reading. Stick to these guides as your only source of care information to get some peace of mind.

Diet for Hermann's is mostly leafy greens without any fruit or berries. Cucumbers can be fed from time to time: they provide low nutritional value and are good mostly for hydration.

Any questions are welcome!

unexpected

uk
Hello!
Here is the link to the most comprehensive care guide: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
(also check temperate species care sheet at the bottom of that post). It could be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's worth reading. Stick to these guides as your only source of care information to get some peace of mind.

Diet for Hermann's is mostly leafy greens without any fruit or berries. Cucumbers can be fed from time to time: they provide low nutritional value and are good mostly for hydration.

Any questions are welcome!
okay thank you very much. what type of leafy greens as they many of them please can you put rock in with them heard that it good for them to climb but nervous incase it falls off and turns in on its back. Is it important to bath them?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The examples of edible plants are in the care sheets, I've linked.

I'm not sure you can find dandelions or plantain now. Look for kale, endive, rocket (arugula, ruccola), collard and mustard greens, radicchio in the grocery store. Bagged "Spring mix" salad mixes are usually fine. Variety is the key thing in diet, so don't stick to this short list. Sprinkle a small pinch of calcium powder over greens twice a week.

You should use a slate (flat rock) or a terracota saucer for feeding.

Bathing (soaking) is very important. Especially for young tortoises. 15-30 minutes everyday in a lukewarm water. Water should be warm at all times. Use two small opaque tubs for that. Water level - is up to the point where top and bottop shell meet. And don't leave him without supervision. If he wants to climb out - it's okay, as it's useful for bowel movements.

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
I'm definitely not a expert but my little Herman's enjoys dandelions radicchio cress rocket and honey suckle.. I,ve also started growing my own you can buy seeds from amazon tortoise mix and their very easy to grow in pots in the house and cheap to buy. You can also buy bags of spring mix from the supermarkets.

unexpected

uk
The examples of edible plants are in the care sheets, I've linked.

I'm not sure you can find dandelions or plantain now. Look for kale, endive, rocket (arugula, ruccola), collard and mustard greens, radicchio in the grocery store. Bagged "Spring mix" salad mixes are usually fine. Variety is the key thing in diet, so don't stick to this short list. Sprinkle a small pinch of calcium powder over greens twice a week.

You should use a slate (flat rock) or a terracota saucer for feeding.

Bathing (soaking) is very important. Especially for young tortoises. 15-30 minutes everyday in a lukewarm water. Water should be warm at all times. Use two small opaque tubs for that. Water level - is up to the point where top and bottop shell meet. And don't leave him without supervision. If he wants to climb out - it's okay, as it's useful for bowel movements.
okay thank you! yep i have been finding dandelions he loves them. yep i keep giving him new things to try starting to notice what he likes and what he doesnt like and doing the powder. okay thank you and okay i wasnt sure how many times should bath him will start doing it everyday now thank you.

unexpected

uk
I'm definitely not a expert but my little Herman's enjoys dandelions radicchio cress rocket and honey suckle.. I,ve also started growing my own you can buy seeds from amazon tortoise mix and their very easy to grow in pots in the house and cheap to buy. You can also buy bags of spring mix from the supermarkets.
okay thank you! Mine seems to love dandelions too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
okay thank you! yep i have been finding dandelions he loves them. yep i keep giving him new things to try starting to notice what he likes and what he doesnt like and doing the powder. okay thank you and okay i wasnt sure how many times should bath him will start doing it everyday now thank you.
What powder do you mean and if it's reptile calcium powder, just a small pinch sprinkled or mixed with the food once or twice a week is enough. Too much will make him sick. Can you please post some pictures of the tortoise and his setup?

unexpected

uk
What powder do you mean and if it's reptile calcium powder, just a small pinch sprinkled or mixed with the food once or twice a week is enough. Too much will make him sick. Can you please post some pictures of the tortoise and his setup?
the reptile calcium powder been doing it once a week on his food