Janetteio

Location (City and/or State)
CORNELL
I just got this guy(or girl). It was abandoned at a friend’s house by some people that moved. She knows nothing about it. Because Herman’s and Russians have different enclosures and diets, I want to do what is right. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 707946ED-6823-4A74-855F-2C1FDD23C8AB.png
    707946ED-6823-4A74-855F-2C1FDD23C8AB.png
    726.7 KB · Views: 7

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Hi there and welcome! It's crazy that people can just up and leave their pets. Are you helping your friend out or have you taken on the tortoise yourself? You've found the best place for advice, as there are many experienced keepers on this forum who will be happy to help.

This looks to be a Russian tortoise from what I can tell.

This care sheet will be a good starting point for you https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/ There is a lot of info to digest, so please ask questions if you're unsure of anything.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I vote for Russian, though there are other people more experienced than I. I don’t think that substrate is very healthy for him or her look at the care sheet but I will try and change that ASAP so they don’t eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got this guy(or girl). It was abandoned at a friend’s house by some people that moved. She knows nothing about it. Because Herman’s and Russians have different enclosures and diets, I want to do what is right. Thanks in advance.
That is a Russian. Hermanni and horsfields do have the same enclosures and diets. Please read the care sheet that PollyAda linked for you, and this one too:

Janetteio

CORNELL
That is a Russian. Hermanni and horsfields do have the same enclosures and diets. Please read the care sheet that PollyAda linked for you, and this one too: