Hermann’s tortoise with misaligned jaw

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
This is not my tortoise, but instead a friend’s on another reptile site. I’m just making a thread for her.

Today, she noticed that Derby, her Hermann’s tortoise, has a misaligned jaw. He has not suffered any trauma that she knows of. She thinks that he has still been eating like this, and it doesn’t appear to be causing him any pain when she touches it.

F80D4BC9-6525-4691-835F-14576CDC355B.jpeg174E154B-99BF-41BB-A5BC-9BD652AAFD3E.jpeg
Does anyone know what could be causing this, or what she could do to fix it? I’ll tag @Yvonne G for good measure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
In the pictures there seems to be a red colored bump ( on the swollen side if his jaw) underneath his neck?

Reactions: ISU

pinklivliya

New York
In the pictures there seems to be a red colored bump ( on the swollen side if his jaw) underneath his neck?
heya i’m the tortoise’s owner! it is swollen but he was eating a strawberry so that’s probably causing the red coloring. it’s definitely a little swollen though

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
heya i’m the tortoise’s owner! it is swollen but he was eating a strawberry so that’s probably causing the red coloring. it’s definitely a little swollen though

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How much fruit you feed him?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Is that him in your profile pic or is that a stock image? if its him, he doesn't appear to be impacted by whatever is wrong in that picture. has anything happened to him? dropped, attacked, etc..?

pinklivliya

New York
Is that him in your profile pic or is that a stock image? if its him, he doesn't appear to be impacted by whatever is wrong in that picture. has anything happened to him? dropped, attacked, etc..?
ah yeah it’s a stock image LOL. and from what i know there was no trauma at all. he was fine this morning, i gave him food and water left him alone for most of the day and checked on him about 2-3 hours ago and his jaw was like that.