Hermann can't open his mouth very wide

Beccyboo

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
Hi, I'm after some advice. I bought a hermann tortoise on Xmas eve. He seemed so tiny compared to the others but the breeder said they just differ in size. The problem is he can't open his mouth wide enough to eat. I thought this was due to his size but have seen videos of tortoises much younger eating fine. He is only 18g and is 5mths old so this is low. He seems to have some kind of damage on the side of his mouth which may be the cause?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi, I'm after some advice. I bought a hermann tortoise on Xmas eve. He seemed so tiny compared to the others but the breeder said they just differ in size. The problem is he can't open his mouth wide enough to eat. I thought this was due to his size but have seen videos of tortoises much younger eating fine. He is only 18g and is 5mths old so this is low. He seems to have some kind of damage on the side of his mouth which may be the cause?
Pictures of the torts face or even a video of him eating could help us get a better idea of what's wrong..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Beccy and welcome!

Yes, it would help if we could see the damage on his mouth. Is there any chance you can take the baby back and trade it for a healthy one?

In the meantime, cut his food up into real tiny pieces so all he has to do is "tongue" it into his mouth instead of bite it.

Beccyboo

Birmingham
It won't let me upload the video but he opens his mouth about 3-4mm tries so hard but just can't eat. The only way he gets anything is by me holding the leaf and he takes tiny bites.I tried cutting the food into tiny pieces and he still can't manage