Hermann/Greek Tortoise Table Size

AMA904

Looking into the possibility of getting either a Hermann or a Greek and I want to build my own indoor table. I know bigger is better, but what is the minimum suggested size for an adult of either species? I believe they are roughly the same size at maturity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just curious why you can't set them up outside. Tortoises are wild animals and really do much better outside in a well-planted, safe and secure habitat. Babies have to be kept indoors until they're big enough to go outside, but really, adult tortoises have no business being indoors. (My opinion)

AMA904

I'm not saying i wont ever have anything for them outside, but my yard doesn't really allow for a setup currently. I also have an 85 lb yellow lab that would be a lot more curious then i would be comfortable with (even with a mesh covering). It will also only be one tortoise. I appreciate your opinion and I don't completely disagree, but I feel that I could give a tortoise a great home inside for the time being and just need some guidance on the proper size table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suggest a minimum of 4x8'. Its pretty easy to make the enclosure out of a 4x8' sheet of plywood and screw some 2x12s upright to make the sides. I make planter boxes like this regularly.

AMA904

I suggest a minimum of 4x8'. Its pretty easy to make the enclosure out of a 4x8' sheet of plywood and screw some 2x12s upright to make the sides. I make planter boxes like this regularly.

Thanks Tom. That seems like a huge enclosure for inside though. What is the smallest you would suggest for a Hermann?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4x8' is the smallest I would suggest for an adult of either species. In the wild they would walk miles.

Its not that they will instantly drop dead if housed in something smaller, its just that the smaller it gets from there the less I like it. If you ask 100 people this question you will get 100 different answers. There is no "correct" answer. They will survive in a 10 gallon tank. They would still use every inch of space if you gave them an entire 20x20' room to use as an indoor enclosure. Its just a question of how people feel about it. The smaller the enclosure, the less room to walk they will have and the fewer pieces of interesting "furniture" you will have room for. Locomotion aids in tortoise digestion, and it helps keep them active and fit, which is important for good health. The smaller you go, the less room to move your tortoise will have.

GO BIG!