Hermann Hatchlings enclosure so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirick27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So here is what I have started for my enclosure so far, still a work in progress.
I have a hide on both the warm and cool sides, some rocks and a few plants (nontoxic palm ponytail,creeping jenny & blue fescue) I know the plants may be hard to keep alive, but for now it looks nice. I have to get my heat lamp still (heat emitter in pic)and my temp gun.

Does the emitter (for @night) get aimed to the same spot as the heat light does during the day? I have moss but haven't decided the best place for it yet. So much of what is said is then contradicted by another article it can get confusing. I just want to make a good home for our hermann hatchlings.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sounds good Stacey. What are you using for a substrate? You have to be careful because hatchlings will eat almost anything. I really like paper towels for hatchlings. They are easy to clean. You will be amazed at how messy 2 little Hermanns can be. :) As for the heat emitter, I would hold off on that. Hermanns can easily tolerate a night time temp drop to 70F or so. Unless your house is really cold, you may not need one. Another thing I like for hatchlings is to place a hide or something right under the brightest/hottest spot of the heat lamp. This is done so that if one ends up belly up, they are not belly up right under the heat. You do have to watch hatchlings, they can end up belly up and not be able to right themselves. How big is the enclosure? Sounds like you are making good progress and will be ready for them.

Wirick27

5 Year Member
California
Funny thats what I had originally thought (about the emitter) but then so many people insist that they need heat throughout the night, my house is usually kept around 70. I was going to use loam/sand mix for substrate, if you think that will be a problem, I can switch and use my other container for now (have two of them)using papertowels until they get a little bigger, I had tried to attach pic of what I have so far but they didn't attach for some reason. I will try again here..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm dying to see your pics. I've really started taking a liking to the hermanns and want to start my own little herd.

Try using http://tinypic.com/ for your pics. Its really easy. No hassle. No accounts. Just upload any size pic and the copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Hermann's dig and are not inclined to respect the delicacy of moss. I include moss in the enclosures for my Hermanns, but I put it where they can't reach it, on top of their humid hide.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I like it! I think you will be fine with the sand/loam mixture. I am sure they will LOVE to dig in it. Make sure you watch them closely as hatchlings are known to eat everything. Make sure they don't do more than just taste it. Sand is known for causing impactions. I think with the mixture, you will be fine. As for temps, 70 at night is fine. They are used to that now!! Did you get a temp gun? What are your temps around the enclosure. It is looking like you are on your way to spoiling them. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whatcha got in that light fixture? If its one of those coil bulbs, we've seen lots of problems with them. I highly recommend against them. If its anything else it will work better if you point it straight down. Those clamps always fail eventually and many fires have been started and many torts have been injured or killed. They sell secure, adjustable stands for the light fixtures, but I usually rig something over head and hang them by the cord.

Those contradictions can certainly be frustrating. Many people do it different ways and have success. One big reason for contradictory info is that everyone's situation, weather and climate are different. We all make little tweaks to suit our individuals needs and preferences.

Wirick27

5 Year Member
California
The light isn't pointing anywhere because there is nothing in it right now, I have to pick up the bulb, stand and temp gun (I have already noticed how well the clamp works) I want to get either the T-rex Active UV Heat or a Powersun.

Status
Not open for further replies.