Hermann Likes to Hang out under Lime Tree?

darrington10

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just want to make sure it is ok for my tortoise to have access to citrus trees? He likes to spend time under and around our lime tree when it is hot. thoughts? am i just worrying?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just want to make sure it is ok for my tortoise to have access to citrus trees? He likes to spend time under and around our lime tree when it is hot. thoughts? am i just worrying?
The leaves are toxic and your tortoise shouldn't have access to the fruit during the time of year when it is dropping. I wouldn't put a tortoise enclosure near a citrus tree.

I, however, would love to have a slice of lime with a Pacifico or a Modelo Negra! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

darrington10

Arizona
The leaves are toxic and your tortoise shouldn't have access to the fruit during the time of year when it is dropping. I wouldn't put a tortoise enclosure near a citrus tree.

I, however, would love to have a slice of lime with a Pacifico or a Modelo Negra! :)
I generally keep the leaves up and fruit never hits the ground. I am trying to give him more space...so i will detour him from there.

darrington10

Arizona

Thank you tom
Also just wanting to make sure while i am updating the enclosure. I am located in AZ and i have the ability to include palms "robellini palm" in enclosure is that ok? because of the heat do i make sure to have mister or sprinklers turn on during hot parts of the day to cool down? also my sister has a yearling can zoo-med tortoise houses be used outdoors housing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know about that type of palm. No experience with it.

Yes on misters and sprinklers when it is hot out.

The ZooMed house isn't suitable for any species at any size. I would not use that. Its too small and the sides are too tall for sunning, and the poor thing is likely to cook in that in the AZ sunshine. Use something larger and make it on the ground. Have a shade cave and plants to hide under.

I like to keep youngsters mostly indoors in their humid closed chamber anyway. My general rule of thumb is one hour of access to sunshine per inch of tortoise.