Hermann set up

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Morning all,

almost finished our Hermanns set up! I’ve added a picture if you could all let me know whether it looks okay 👍 I’m getting a solar meter at the end of the month as my partner so very kindly offered to pay half with me…and will be getting a small green house roof. In terms of lighting does it all look alright? I’m also adding the uvb light once we’ve fixed something to hang it from. It’s in our room as it’s the warmest room in the house. It’s normally about 20 degrees over night.
Natalie x

Attachments

• IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4483.jpeg
    IMG_4483.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hi!
1. You can hang the lamp domes from the greenhouse top frame and use the two lamp stands to hang the UVB tube. Or vice versa (hang the UVB fixture from greenhouse frame).
2. I would position ambient light closer to the basking lamp (so they augment each other) and lift it up a bit.
3. 20C is a nice nighttime temperature for baby Hermann's.

Once you put the substrate and slates in - make a 24 hour dry-run to check humidity, temperatures and such.

Natalie44

Essex
Hi!
1. You can hang the lamp domes from the greenhouse top frame and use the two lamp stands to hang the UVB tube. Or vice versa (hang the UVB fixture from greenhouse frame).
2. I would position ambient light closer to the basking lamp (so they augment each other) and lift it up a bit.
3. 20C is a nice nighttime temperature for baby Hermann's.

Once you put the substrate and slates in - make a 24 hour dry-run to check humidity, temperatures and such.
Okay awesome. I’ve attached another photo- is that close enough? Or too close? Also, the basking area is currently 32 degrees. Should I move the dome abit further down to reach between 35-37?
Sorry for all the questions! Just wanna get it right lol thank you for all the advise you’ve given me so far.
Natalie x

Natalie44

Essex
Forgot to attach! 🙊 here is it!

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpeg
    IMG_4498.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Okay awesome. I’ve attached another photo- is that close enough? Or too close? Also, the basking area is currently 32 degrees. Should I move the dome abit further down to reach between 35-37?
Sorry for all the questions! Just wanna get it right lol thank you for all the advise you’ve given me so far.
Natalie x
Yes, looks fine. Basking area has to be 35-38C, so you need to lower the lamp.

Do the measurements with substrate and slate in place and leaving thermometer "to bake" for 1-2 hours under the lamp.

Natalie44

Essex
Yes, looks fine. Basking area has to be 35-38C, so you need to lower the lamp.

Do the measurements with substrate and slate in place and leaving thermometer "to bake" for 1-2 hours under the lamp.
after the 1-2 hours see what the temperature is?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
after the 1-2 hours see what the temperature is?
Yes. It will ramp up quickly for the first 30 minutes and then much slower. That's why you need to leave for longer time.

After greenhouse top is placed over the enclosure you'll have to redo the measurements (because evaporation and heat loss will be much less).

Reactions: Tom