Hermann tortoise beak snapped would like help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasmin

5 Year Member
I have two questions,
I have 2 hermanns both female but my main concern recently is with my 4 year old female who ive had for 3 years now, I dont have a permanent outdoor enclosure because well first of all theres no grass in my garden its all concrete and its not the biggest and secondly i get worried that something will happen to them when im not there. But basically i took them out yesterday and when i looked to see where she was she was trying to bite a tree i kept moving her and then eventually noticed her beak and cut which must of been from biting it but there was no blood or anything she didnt seem to fussed as she still kept going back, i took them inside and she had some food. Then today i dont know what happened but the side of her beak snapped off it doesnt look sore and theres no blood and shes still eating fine but will she be ok? what should i do?
and secondly one of the tortoises (not sure which one) makes a sort of hissing sound especially at night it cant be from being scared because i cant see how anything would scare them, any ideas? :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) first, a pic of the beak would help us a lot to help you. Second, are you positive they are both female? You could post a pic of their underside, tail area and we might be able to sex them if your not positive. The hissing at night may be one of them bullying the other for the prime sleeping spot. Do you ever see any other aggression towards each other? It can be as little as one eating and when the other comes close the one eating stops eating and goes and hides in a corner or something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Yasmin, and welcome to the Forum!

We have no way of knowing about the tortoise's beak unless we can see it, but I'm going to GUESS that the beak was overgrown, and that part broke off when she was using it in a natural way, like tortoises do. Tortoises in the wild probably never need their beaks trimmed because they are constantly using them by biting off chunks of food, scraping them on rocks, and, as you saw, trying to sharpen them on tree trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.