Hermann Tortoise going in Circles Running - Normal?

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
My little guy is so funny and I hope he isn't ill or upset, but he is always having little walking bouts in the evening. He goes around in the same little route checking things out. And he goes pretty fast.

He is 9 weeks old and he is pooping and eating, sleeping, and interested in things. Is this normal? It is almost like an exercise routine. lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A lot of tortoises seem to have a route that they travel. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but just in case, re-check the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat to be sure they're within the correct range.

jaredherman

5 Year Member
Yep, mine does the same thing. he actually makes little trails around his enclosure.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's, Elsa, does the same thing. We call it Patrolling her Perimeter! :) She went really fast when she was in her enclosure for the first couple of times, but now she ambles. Still likes the perimeter, and you can just start to see the path she's worn. I understand the land tortoises are supposed to have pretty good mental mapping ability- maybe the repetition helps her form her mental map?

Copper

Nothern Illinois
My four and half week Hermann tortoise will do that too, he tends to walk the same route in his enclosure everyday, he also likes to lay in the same spot under the heat/UVL light everyday. At night he buries himself in the same corner for the night. Glad to hear your tortoise does similar things too :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Our tortoises used to play like children on a slide when they were small. Over and over again. Their space was a lot larger then you can see on the film:
Cutest things ever!!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Smartie123

That is so funny! My little donny has started doing something similar and throwing himself off a bridge he has in his enclosure. I was a little worried but now I've seen yours their clearly just little thrill seekers!

Louise C

Edinburgh, Scotland
Our tortoises used to play like children on a slide when they were small. Over and over again. Their space was a lot larger then you can see on the film:

Love this video!

Pedro does this for a hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.....just climbs up his hide jumps off and starts again. First thing he does when I let him out is to find something (usually one of girls' toys) to climb and jump off. He's getting a bit big for his current hide so I've ordered him a 40x25cm platform with a ladder so he can keep up his parkour practice.....so excited.

Attachments

• 10707920_727160300670369_2028815600_n.jpg
    10707920_727160300670369_2028815600_n.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 31

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
OMG that's crazy!!! I've never seen tortoises that active! They were having a blast!

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
I'm actually glad to see these videos! I thought my male hermanns tort was a bit "off" he LOVES to climb anyth he can and just leap off it ? I hate it, it freaks me out. I keep trying to stop him from doing it bc i dont want him to hurt himself but now I see its pretty "normal" & hes just playing..