Hermann tortoise has dull spots on marginal scutes

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Good Afternoon,

I usually don’t post often because there’s already a lot of threads available that have answered my questions in the past. However, I just want more opinions on my little buddy before I proceed with anything. I’ve noticed some small dull spots along my tortoises marginal scutes (I believe that’s what they’re called) and I’m wondering if this is due to hard water. I live in Westchester County in New York where water is moderately hard, which is what leads me to believe this is the cause of these spots.

For background, he is housed is an open tortoise table with coconut coir substrate. The hottest point of his table hovers around 95 degrees with the lowest point of the table hovering around 70-75 degrees. He is fed a mixture of natural grown weeds and some store bought items (that’s mostly in the winter though. Around this time I have more access to naturally grown foods). He has access to a cuttle bone that he chews on from time to time. That humidity of the substrate is generally around 70. The table is 6 feet long by 2.5 feet wide and 1 foot deep (Currently I’m building a larger one as he is 4 years old now). I’m aware that he has slight pyramiding from 2 years ago but that has not progressed any longer as I have worked on that.

I have attached pictures below if anyone could possibly lead me in the right direction. Thank you tortoise community.

Attachments

• CF8AF29B-8726-41E3-A3E4-B3C4B8445A13.jpeg
    CF8AF29B-8726-41E3-A3E4-B3C4B8445A13.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • E8AFA88E-8EBA-4D5D-B9A2-E2618FE34D41.jpeg
    E8AFA88E-8EBA-4D5D-B9A2-E2618FE34D41.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was abrasion - he's walking too close to the wall as he's doing his wall surfing.Give him a good bath then dry him well. Then rub a little cold pressed coconut oil into the shell, allow it to absorb for a few minutes, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
My first thought was abrasion - he's walking too close to the wall as he's doing his wall surfing.Give him a good bath then dry him well. Then rub a little cold pressed coconut oil into the shell, allow it to absorb for a few minutes, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.
Massimo is definitely a wall surfer for sure. I have the wall lined with plastic garbage bags, so the wood is not exposed. But I will try that method, thank you!

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York

The coconut oil worked perfectly. Thank you again