Hermann tortoise hiding a lot?

Lovethetorts!

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles california
hello everyone! My name is Sarah and I have a question about my female eastern Hermann tortoise named Sophie I just got her about 5 days ago from this local breeder. And she seems to be doing fine except she hides a lot almost every time I go to check on her in her outdoor encloser she is either in her house or borrowd in her hay pile or in the ground. Is that normal? She is only a juvenile she's like a year old or so. She is visibly very healthy eats and drinks fine. But the strange thing is I will take her out of her encloser for some outdoor exercise in the grass outside. And she is VERY active and completely normal. But when I put her back in her encloser she goes to borrow herself in the ground! Is that normal? I mean it is a little cold here maybe somewhere in the 60s 70s? But during the day it gets warmer. Like I said before she looks visibly healthy. Thankyou in advance!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
very normal as thats what babies do, they hide a lot. your temperature is extremely low for daytime. give the care sheet a good read and make the necessary changes. feel free to ask questions along the way. pictures of your setup will help us help you as well.

Edit: I read too quick and didnt see that this is an outdoor enclosure. Was the tort kept outside before you received it? it may not yet be used to the outside. They need time to settle in but if you are placing it outside for the first time it may need even more to adjust to the temp differences.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
Ok thankyou. In the daytime it will heat up I just meant in the evening and a little in the morning. I will try to get some pictures of the setup and tortoise.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
Here are some pictures of her and her encloser.(dont worry she will get sun in her encloser soon)

Attachments

• WIN_20210331_10_45_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210331_10_45_24_Pro.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 27
  • WIN_20210331_10_45_33_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210331_10_45_33_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20210331_10_45_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210331_10_45_34_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20210331_10_45_43_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210331_10_45_43_Pro.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 22
  • WIN_20210331_10_48_38_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210331_10_48_38_Pro.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 24

Grace-Sophia

Texas
What is the temperature out side? That could be causing her to not be warm enough.

I have a around 2 year old eastern too, she likes to sleep quite a bit as well as stay warm, I guess some just like their beauty sleep!

But I wouldn't be too concerned, she looks like she is active and wanting to get sun, thats great news! Also sense you just got her 5 days ago she is probably just getting warmed up to her surroundings and all the news smells and sites, it can take a while for them to really come out and show you their personalities, I have had mine sense December and she is such a sweety pie and so curious!

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
Ok thanks grace-sophia! The temperature outside in the morning is around 75f now and in the middle of the day it can range from 80-90f. she does seem to be more active since a few days ago.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi
Check the caresheet to see what the temps should be for babies to make sure she is warm enough .
Does she have an indoor enclosure for night time?

Do you have any pics of the full size of the enclosure?
Also make sure it is secure from predators with wire cover - even large birds have been know to take off with babies.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
Ya thanks the temperature is fine. In the night it isn't that cold So she is fine outside for the night. And there is a wire cover I have for her for the night. And I sent a bunch of picks of her encloser along with a video earlier. Go check them out.