Hermann tortoise tail horn

Lewis516

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi there, I'll skip straight to it i had my tort out on my bed on a clean towel no objects around at all. When it came time to put my tort in its enclosure i noticed its tail horn looked red i got a cotton tissue thing and dabbed its tail gently and blood was coming from the horn. My first thought is that he might have caught it sliding down his log but i cant be sure and wanted other opinions.

I gave him a warm soak just so the blood could wash off naturally and now i can see the tail horn is hanging on by a thread. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi there, I'll skip straight to it i had my tort out on my bed on a clean towel no objects around at all. When it came time to put my tort in its enclosure i noticed its tail horn looked red i got a cotton tissue thing and dabbed its tail gently and blood was coming from the horn. My first thought is that he might have caught it sliding down his log but i cant be sure and wanted other opinions.

I gave him a warm soak just so the blood could wash off naturally and now i can see the tail horn is hanging on by a thread. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Can you post a photo or two?

Lewis516

Bristol
Its a little difficult to get a focused picture as he wriggles around

Attachments

• 20220117_204519.jpg
    20220117_204519.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 9

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I imagine it's like losing a scale off any other part of their body. Sometimes it grows back, sometimes it doesn't.

It's probably tender. Dab on a bit of Neosporin.

Lewis516

Bristol
I imagine it's like losing a scale off any other part of their body. Sometimes it grows back, sometimes it doesn't.

It's probably tender. Dab on a bit of Neosporin.
Yea it looks sore. I dont have any neosporin here is there one online you'd recommend for me?