Hermanns and co co coir

Natalie Jean

Location (City and/or State)
Uk, Cornwall
So, I'm under the impression that this stuff is 'best' for our little friends and that's obviously what I want! At the mo I keep little Noah on this wood chip stuff which is all our local pet shop supply (Cornwall, England). So I am looking into buying some of this stuff for her tort table. My questions are is there a specific kind of co co coir I should be purchasing? Is it just soil? Any advice or comments warmly received :D .... Am adding a screen shot of my eBay search for co co coir to see what any of you say and also a pic of little Noah sleeping on her current substrate. Thanks all, natt x ImageUploadedByTortForum1397841679.203400.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397841694.669689.jpg

Smartie123

How cute! Does she often sleep on top like that? My little Donny always berrys himself when he sleeps. I live in Southampton uk and the reptile centre I got Donny from kept them with a similar substrate to what u have there but after reading a few posts on here I replaced half with coco coir I got from pets at home. I have to say he likes the firmer ground for climbing but doesn't spend much time on it.

tellablue

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I use a combination of ZooMed Eco Earth coconut fiber and Exo Terra Coco Husk. I know both are on Amazon in the U.S., I would guess they would be available on Amazon in the UK.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have used the stuff that comes in a brick, (or bale) then you soak it in hot water and it expands a lot. I use Orchid bark for my Hermanni as I can create some humidity and my Queenie loves it...dry substrate isn't good for them and causes a bit of pyramiding...

Sandra

Thanks sbwalker I've found it on pets at home and will also be changing my Hermann's substrate

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
No worries @Sandra @Natalie Jean
Just remembered I originally wrote a thread on this when I got it!
If you look at the pictures, you can see how much drier the old soil/sand substrate was!
I sprayed the enclosure regularly, but humidity used to drop to 30%, even after an hour or so.
Now, with the coco coir, I return from work after 8 hours, and the enclosure still has around 50% humidity!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/uk-coco-coir-substrate.90135/

Sandra

Brilliant .... My little boy seems so much happier ... Thanks for your thread it makes thing so much better having forums like this and people like yourself that post so much useful info ... Thank you again

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I use topsoil but want to put some coco fibre into the bedding area of my Hermanns for a bit of warmth for them. I know you wet it to expand it but can I then leave it to dry before putting in?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Unlike most others here, I hate coco fibre!! I prefer to use organic peat moss instead.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
I use topsoil but want to put some coco fibre into the bedding area of my Hermanns for a bit of warmth for them. I know you wet it to expand it but can I then leave it to dry before putting in?
Hello,
No, put it into your enclosure damp, then mist daily, as needed, to keep up the humidity.
I mix it with organic top soil and our Hermann's loves it.