Hermanns and Russian Tortoise Care in a Tropical Country

PinoyTortoiseLover

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Good day everyone. I am totally new and I am looking forward to having a Hermanns and a Russian Tortoise become part of my family. I have read a lot of forums but most of the questions / scenarios are different from where I am from so I am not sure if the advice / recommendations are applicable to my setting. I am from the Philippines which is a tropical country and I live in a small apartment. I understand that it is imperative for Hermanns tortoise that are kept indoors to have a basking heat lamp and UV-A/UV-B light. I have several questions and the first one is, What is the level of power / wattage of the Basking light should I get considering the following temperature indoors.

32 - 35 degrees centigrade from June to November (Monsoon Rains SEason)
28 - 31 degrees centigrade from December to February
34 - 38 degrees centigrade from March to May.

Also, is there a need for me to humidify an enclosure if the average humidity level in my country are as follows:

73% from March to May
85% from June to November
70% from December to February

Also, taking the following climate info into consideration, what is the most appropriate size for an indoor tortoise table should I get?

Another question of mine is, what kind of substrate is suitable for our climate? I would not want my tortoise to be in an environment full of molds or anything that can harm them that can come from the substrate.

Another question is about food. Is it ok for a Hermanns and Russian tortoise diet to include hibiscus leaf and flowers, cactus pads and aloe vera plant 70% of the time? With all the plants indicated in a lot of forums, these three are the ones that are endemic and readily available here in the Philippines.

Another question is about supplements. Is it really necessary to include calcium powder in their food from time to time? Also, what other supplements can I give a Hermanns and Russian tortoise to make sure that they will grow healthy.

My last question is, can I keep 2 tortoise of the same species in the same indoor enclosure? I am thinking of having a 2 tier 6ftx4ftx1.5ft tortoise table for the Hermanns and Russians.

Thank you in advance to those who will respond. I apologize if I have a lot of questions. i just want to provide the best care for the tortoise that I am about to acquire.

Last edited:

Jellabee

Location (City and/or State)
Seoul
Hi there. I am living in Malaysia. Here is not near to Philippine but I believe the environment is quite similar.
My answers are just from my experience, you can refer them, but you need to study more and more is better.
Btw I have a Hermann tortoise.

First of all, I think there is no problem to keep Hermann or Russian tortoise in your country.
My personal opinions are below:

- Temp. & humidity: you can set two temp. & humidity reader at each conner right and left of the enclosure to check the right environment.
- Set two different temp zones to range 27 ~ 37 Celsius Degree. Ex) Hot zone(left), and cool zone(right) few Celsius Degrees difference.
- Humidity 60~80% will be fine. I guess... you better pick an opened-roof enclosure. I worry mold during the rainy season. Turn on the aircond to decrease humidity if you need it.
- I am using many substrates, Coco peat, Coco husk, and Bark but no sand. Try one by one or mix.
- 6ftx4ftx1.5ft will be enough for two tortoises. My enclosure is 3ft*2ft for 1 Hermann. But bigger should be better.
- Don't mix species and I heard some Russians fight each other even the same species. 2 Hermann may be ok.
- You should find out the suitable lights for your enclosure. I am using 1 Solar glo 80W & Reptisun 5T 10 UVB 24W for 3ft * 2ft enclosure.
- https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
- The above link is the best tortoise's diet database website.
- Do not feed the same food often. Provide them various kinds of flowers and weeds.
- There are so many supplements for tortoise, but I believe calcium and vitamin D3 are necessary things. I provide the calcium & vitamin D3 powder 2 times in a week.

I hope my answer is helpful to you, and please make it correct if anyone finds wrong in the text above.
Thanks,