Hermanns excessive blinking right eye

Jasminemmm

Location (City and/or State)
Schaumburg, IL
Hi, I just noticed that my five months old eastern hermanns tort blinks his right eye a lot more often than blinking his left eye. It seems there is something irritating his right eye but I don’t see any large debris. He eats normally and is very active.

I soak him in warm water everyday for 20-30 minutes. His bedding is fir bark. His UVB light is Arcadia PRO t5 12%. The basking light is 45W incandescent light bulb.

He does not seem to be bothered by it other than excessive right eye blinking. But I’m worried that this could lead to a bigger issue. I have one pic of him blinking his right eye and one with both of his eyes open.
Any suggestion is welcome!
D446803F-77D8-4A46-B637-5F6574BD2BDC.jpeg
DA47A6A4-FB76-4979-ABE3-F5CFE6C4F4CF.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A50809F-D461-4574-8DAF-70774BB4BCC2.jpeg
    4A50809F-D461-4574-8DAF-70774BB4BCC2.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 6

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
There may be something stuck in his eye or his right eye may need more moisture. I wonder if they make eye drops for tortoises? I think you should start to soak him more often. Have you seen him drink often? He may have scratched his eye and it is irritated. When his right eye is open have you seen any swelling or redness or scratches of some sort? Does his right eye seem very dry?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Please post some photos of your enclosure.
What are the temperatures on the ground where your tort lives?
What types of lighting and heat bulbs are you using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
After posting the pics requested and giving the other info asked for, give a nice warm soak and softly run water over his eye with your fingers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are doing everything right, but your substrate does look pretty dry. It should be damp. Any substrate will get dusty when too dry, and that can cause eye irritation.

Also, how high above the tortoise is the UV tube mounted?

P.S. Your baby is gorgeous! :)

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
Sounds like you are doing everything right, but your substrate does look pretty dry. It should be damp. Any substrate will get dusty when too dry, and that can cause eye irritation.

Also, how high above the tortoise is the UV tube mounted?

P.S. Your baby is gorgeous! :)
Thanks Tom! The UV light is mounted above 40cm (15.5 inch) above the tortoise. Is it ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! The UV light is mounted above 40cm (15.5 inch) above the tortoise. Is it ok?
40 cm is too close for a 12%HO tube. Should be at least 46, and usually needs to be closer to 50-60cm.

Do you run that bulb all day? Do you have a Solarmeter to test the UV output?

This might be your problem.

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
40 cm is too close for a 12%HO tube. Should be at least 46, and usually needs to be closer to 50-60cm.

Do you run that bulb all day? Do you have a Solarmeter to test the UV output?

This might be your problem.
I just recently purchased a Solarmeter and still learning to read the meter. what should be the correct measure I am looking for? I run the light 4-5 hours every day.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Treating the condition is separate from treating the cause. It looks like the many potential issues have been addressed well.

I have always found contact lens wetting solution for sensitive eyes to be a good first aid. It's also helps when there is something in the nostrils.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just recently purchased a Solarmeter and still learning to read the meter. what should be the correct measure I am looking for? I run the light 4-5 hours every day.
A UVI reading of 3-5 would be good for that duration, or even a little shorter. I only run mine 2-3 hours a day, mid day.

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
A UVI reading of 3-5 would be good for that duration, or even a little shorter. I only run mine 2-3 hours a day, mid day.
I am not sure if I used my devise in a correct way... I only got around 1 on my device. I bought the light at the end of December. But it is not due replacement yet. I thought it will be good for at least 6 months.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I am not sure if I used my devise in a correct way... I only got around 1 on my device. I bought the light at the end of December. But it is not due replacement yet. I thought it will be good for at least 6 months.
If you lower your fixture the reading will get higher. Each inch will make a difference.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Do you have the model 6.5 Solarmeter? The other model numbers do not read the correct light output for what we need as tortoise keepers.