Hermanns Hatchling Hasn't Eaten Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertHawker

5 Year Member
My Hermanns hatching, hatched on 21 Jan 2009, so now 3 days old. Doesn't seem interested in food just digging and bury himself. Any advice would be welcomed - its my first hatching called 'Little Foot'.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
RE: Introducing hatchling #5 and #6

RobertHawker:

I'd recommend you create a new thread for your question to get more answers.

Click here to start a new thread (subject) in the Hermanns forum

Does the hatchling still have some of the yolk sak? I do not know much about brand new hatchlings, but I've heard sometimes they will not eat for up to two weeks. Hopefully you can get some tips on what to offer it and a suitable habitat soon from other members. When they are first hatched they have a "fight or flight" sort of thing going on, and your hatchling will probably want to spend all its time hiding. Do you have some hiding spots set up in the enclosure? You can even make one out of a flower pot, box, tupperware, etc. As far as the burying themselves--torts love to do that and it can mean several things off the top of my head: nothing at all, it could be too cold (trying to thermoregulate), or scared and trying to hide.

What kind of set-up do you have? What is the temperature range in the enclosure?

Congrats by the way and welcome to the forum!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I've had hatchlings take up to 3 weeks to start eating, but most usually do by 7 days old.

Like Kate asked it would be nice to know how you have the hatchling set-up. That way we could give you a bit better advice.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum RobertHawker (I take it your name is Robert?) Lots of questions, as Danny and Kate said, about your setup. It would be nice if you could post a pic of it and your new baby. Do you have the parents? Was it a natural incubation or did you incubate 'Little Foot' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.