Hermann's hatchling plastron help

Jami

Hi everyone,

My Hermann's hatchling (8-9 weeks old) seems like his plastron has become very flexible and the ridges and main line down his middle are very defined. He seems to be growing. He HATES his calcium D3 supplements but I'm worried he's developing a big problem.

I have him on coco fiber substrate, and he's in an aquarium with a screened lid, as the resource I was using said for a hatchling that would be ok. He has a power sun lamp suspended, half his enclosure is about 85-90 then back half gets to 77 during most of the day. His breeder thought he was dehydrated when I first had him, and I've been pretty good with his substrate staying moist on lower levels and dryer on top.

I'm hoping I'm just being a nervous tort Mamma but I'm worried. Thoughts? Thanks!
Jami

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have one that hates cal/d3 so I only put it on her fav foods. Butternut squash & raddichio. Tricks her everytime.

Jami

I have one that hates cal/d3 so I only put it on her fav foods. Butternut squash & raddichio. Tricks her everytime.
Thanks! I'll give that some thought. Still experimenting with foods. Dandelion flower stems seem to be a fav.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jami:

The screen top is filtering out the beneficial UVB rays. There should be nothing between the light bulb and the habitat. Maybe you can cut out a hole for the light to sit over?

Most tortoises don't like the taste of calcium, so you have to use it sparingly. Just a small pinch between your thumb and index finger sprinkled over the greens then stirred so it disperses.

Calcium + UVB makes a hard shell. Without one or the other, you have a soft shell and eventually a sick tortoise.

Jami

Thanks so much for your recommendation. I'm wondering if I should change out the screen with larger mesh. I have two cats who would freak him out - when I'm there watching I can have the screen off. I also plan on taking him outside. Thanks so much!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy a bit of hardware cloth, bend the edges to fit over the top of the enclosure, then sit the light directly on the wire.

Jami

Ok. I have the power sun UVB/heat lamp on a stand suspended because it gets so hot. Is that the one you think I should put it right on it? Thanks for your help.

He also has some reddish brown stripes for lack of a better description on his sides of the shell. I've read about baby food calcium baths. Should I do that?

Thank you!!!