Hermanns tortoise always trying to sleep

akina

Location (City and/or State)
nicasio california
Hi! My Hermanns tortoise has been sleeping in his cave pretty much all day. If I take him outside to go in the sun, he acts normal, eats a lot, and move around. It's starting to get cool where I live, so I'm pretty sure he's trying to hibernate. In the past I've heated his whole room, but this year I'm trying not to do that since it really dried everything out. I'm not too worried about him being sick since he's a healthy weight for his size, and shows no signs of respiratory disease or anything. Any ideas on how to overwinter him better? Should I wake him up in the mornings and take him out? Otherwise he doesn't move too much. Is this normal for him to be doing? When his whole room was heated, he'd have a couple of tired days, and then adjust. Do you think I should stick to that? He lives in a tortoise table with a cool side of 71 F a warm side of 88 F and a basking spot. I spray his table, and he gets soaks, so I don't think he's dehydrated. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Your Temps are off... cool side should be 80-85. Under i
His basking light should be 95-100

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hmmm... can you post pictures of your setup?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
About how old is your tortoise? It sounds like he is at least one year old?

If you want him to stay awake, keep him warm. Also, he needs bright light for around 14 hours a day. You want his home to look and feel like summer, not winter.

You can take him outside on warm afternoons, but be careful to not let him get chilly.