Hermann's with 1/13 Normal Scutes, Crooked?

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Has anyone grown a tortoise like this one before?Persephone.jpg I have just taken in this little one, she is really special as she only has 1 normal scute out of 13.

Her spine looks straight i think, but as she grows will she straighten out more?

I've investigated the split scute adults and it seems like the shell grows a certain shape despite the shape of the scutes.

Another question i have is will she be special needs at all? She's heavy and is about 3 months old and she moves around alright, but shes kind of quirky. She spent a long time 'rubbing her eyes', ferociously if i had to describe it.

Anyways, she is a very special tort, and hopefully she will grow up to be one of a kind.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yes I’ve seen these kind of scute anomalies in Hermann’s before. It should be ok.

Ohio
Yes I’ve seen these kind of scute anomalies in Hermann’s before. It should be ok.
Thanks for taking a look Chris I appreciate it.

Do you know what species she is? Her head has different, larger, darker, scales than my Eastern Hermann's baby.

I hope she isn't a cross of some sort, my other Hermann's is an Eastern and looks just like your pictures, this one is a little darker.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
No problem. It appears to be a pure eastern. Certainly isn’t hermanni hermanni or hercegovinensis.

Ohio
No problem. It appears to be a pure eastern. Certainly isn’t hermanni hermanni or hercegovinensis.
I thought so too, the variation within the species is certainly interesting.

On the underside, it's difficult to tell the ratio between the pectoral and femoral scutes on babies sometimes, i watched and read just about everything you have available.

So keep putting it out there, people do read it, and people do improve their husbandry with your information, and everybody on TFO for that matter.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Has anyone grown a tortoise like this one before?View attachment 244751 I have just taken in this little one, she is really special as she only has 1 normal scute out of 13.

Her spine looks straight i think, but as she grows will she straighten out more?

I've investigated the split scute adults and it seems like the shell grows a certain shape despite the shape of the scutes.

Another question i have is will she be special needs at all? She's heavy and is about 3 months old and she moves around alright, but shes kind of quirky. She spent a long time 'rubbing her eyes', ferociously if i had to describe it.

Anyways, she is a very special tort, and hopefully she will grow up to be one of a kind.

That is a one of a kind, I love it!
Good Luck

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Only one additional scute, that happens quite often, nothing to worry about. I'm sure she will grow up to be very beautiful and healthy (and maybe even a little straighter). :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Has anyone grown a tortoise like this one before?View attachment 244751 I have just taken in this little one, she is really special as she only has 1 normal scute out of 13.

What a little cutie!!! One of mine has aberrant scutes as well. That maybe a likely sign that you have got yourself a GIRL tort. IMG_4853.jpg this is my girl Shellie, she is a Northern Redfooted tortoise, just turned 3 yrs old

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Your tort should grow up fine. My RF Eliminator has a zigzag (ZZ) Top scute pattern. It’s growing and functioning just fine. In a post ID request @nid has a picture that shows that the outer scute seams of a tortoise don’t line up with the underlying boney plates. Your Hermans condition should be just cosmetic and not underlying. Of course this can only be proven many years from now.