hermans making a snooring noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
can anybody help me my male tortoise started making a snooring noise about 2 weeks ago and he is still doing it i had him to a vet that said he is in good health and wasent worried about him hes eating and walking about but makes this noise he is very loudsometimes he sounds like hes passing wind even tho i have seen a vet still worried

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Is he still making this sound? Does it sound like he is trying expel something?
It could possibly be a lower respiratory infection. You need to go back to the vets and have them do a throat culture to find out whats going on.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feel badly that you haven't received an answer to your question. It doesn't mean we don't care, it means we really don't have a clue. Is the sound coming from his nose? Is it occasional, or with every breath? Could there be something stuck in his nares? Does he ever do open-mouth breathing?

If he's eating and acting normal, and the vet gives him a clean bill of health after Danny's suggestion, then I'd say, don't worry.

Yvonne

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I feel badly that you haven't received an answer to your question. It doesn't mean we don't care, it means we really don't have a clue. Is the sound coming from his nose? Is it occasional, or with every breath? Could there be something stuck in his nares? Does he ever do open-mouth breathing?

If he's eating and acting normal, and the vet gives him a clean bill of health after Danny's suggestion, then I'd say, don't worry.

Yvonne

HI thank you for your answers i think i know what was happening he has the run of the house and he as been spending a lot of time in my hallway whare i had one of those smelly things that pump out a spray every half hour becouse i was trying to work out what was wrong with him i decided to take the smelly thing out of the hallway and he is fine now thank god and yes he was feeding and doing everything he should be doing as normal he still makes a slight noise like a hunger sound you get when your hungry but he is feeding fine thank you for answering caz

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its really not a good idea to allow your tortoise to have free-run of the house. There are just too many things for him to get into trouble with. Also, its too cold on the floor for him. And that might be part of the problem besides the air freshener. Take off your clothes and lay down on the floor for a while and you'll see what I mean. YOU have a built-in thermostat that keeps your body temperature at 98.6 degrees. A tortoise doesn't have that thermostat. His body temperature is whatever the surrounding ambient air temperature is. Think about it: 98.6 degrees!!! That's almost 100 degrees! In order for you to digest your food, your body temperature is almost 100 degrees! And here's the poor tortoise running around on the floor where the temperature might be at the most, 70 degrees. That's just plain old NOT WARM ENOUGH! Do your baby a favor and keep him inside his habitat where he can warm up and cool down as he needs to, and where he will be safe from unseen harm such as dust bunnies, ingested hair and cold air. :)

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.