Hermans Tortoise Penis Display (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Hi Guys,
My Hermans tortoise just did the wieredes thing and I hope he is ok but wanted to check. I quickly googled what just happened and found this:
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2007/04/terrifying_sex_organs_of_male.php

I came home and while refilling the water bowl I caught my tortoise as he got in the way, rapidly cooling him (I assume) from the ambient warm 25C in my house (yes unfortunately it is that hot its an attic room and today was quite sunny).

He lifted himself up on the water bowl edge and out of his cloaca he pushed out a HUGE (3inches maybe?) purple fallus like thing with what looked like an orchid flower shaped end, only more fleshy.
At first I thought his bowls had pro-lapsed but he pulled it in then pushed it out a few times then walked off. He's only 3 years old (just turned 3) and if this is his way of telling me he's a boy then great. If its his way of telling me he's ill then please advise ASAP.

All other behaviour completely normal and eating well.

Thanks for any help in advance, it scared the pants off me to see such a small tortoise do what he just did!

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
lol, ok good stuff. Well it sounds like nothing to worry about then. Anyone know why they do this? Is it because he's randy or because of something I did?

Sir Stompsalot

5 Year Member
I came on here because I saw mine do this an had the same fears about bowl prolapse, thanks for the link to the scienceblogs.com blog, interesting stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sir Stompsalot said:
I came on here because I saw mine do this an had the same fears about bowl prolapse, thanks for the link to the scienceblogs.com blog, interesting stuff.

Hi Sir Stompsalot:

Please take a moment to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself and your tortoise.

S

stells

He has found it... now he needs to play with it... typical male in other words...

On the other forum i frequent... it is described as the starship enterprise...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
johnhutch2000 said:
lol, ok good stuff. Well it sounds like nothing to worry about then. Anyone know why they do this? Is it because he's randy or because of something I did?

Likely because it's just what tort-dudes do...but, in the spirit of advancing scientific knowledge and stuff, what were any females around you wearing? ;)

Seriously, my male Hermann's did the same thing a few days ago...and then again, the next day...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ty-boy-mildly-risque-post-alert#axzz1R0HNJ44g

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
johnhutch2000 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Likely because it's just what tort-dudes do...but, in the spirit of advancing scientific knowledge and stuff, what were any females around you wearing? ;)

Seriously, my male Hermann's did the same thing a few days ago...and then again, the next day...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ty-boy-mildly-risque-post-alert#axzz1R0HNJ44g

Haha well I was wearing a T-Shirt and my other half was getting changed so he's got taste ;)

Well, there ya go! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.