Hermes Is Part Of The Family

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
chinny Hermes.jpg hermes 3.jpg hermes chinny 1.jpg hermes charlie 2.jpg Here is little Hermes making friends with his new brothers and sisters.

Don't worry he wasn't in the least bit distressed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 240973 View attachment 240974 View attachment 240975 View attachment 240976 Here is little Hermes making friends with his new brothers and sisters.

Don't worry he wasn't in the least bit distressed.

I am freaking out here....you know that they both would, in a moment, enjoy making a quick chew toy of that little helpless tort...right? I can appreciate the pics for your benefit....but I am not sold on the fact that the tort is not distressed in the least bit....

I hope you know that neither the dog nor cat should EVER be left with that little tort :)

snivloc16

Kansas
That cat looks like it’s just dying to bat him around like a hockey puck.

Ohio
I should have clarified, he spends all day in a climate controlled room in a 50 gallon stock tank with every possible amenity, I take him out for his baths and let him wander while we watch him so he doesn't get bored and we decided to try introducing him one day and he walked right up to these guys, they are harmless and I absolutely never leave them alone with him, I love this tortoise more than anything I own and waited quite a few years to be able to keep one properly.
I really thought he would be less curious and more shy, but he just kind of meanders around checking everything out, he doesn't hide until he goes to sleep.
Nobody worry this tortoise is treated like royalty with everything he needs and could wish for. We hope to educate our children with him and he seems like he will be quite the character!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What a cute little guy! :<3: Mine are almost 4 years old now, I wish they were still babies. :D
If his enclosure is too small and dull to keep him occupied I guess it's time to get a new one, but it's never a good idea to let him wander outside of it. If at all, you can build him a safe run in the garden, but you should never put him on the floor, on a sofa and especially not on a dog (even if you watch him closely, which I'm sure you are doing).

By the way, I would be very worried if such a small hatchling is active all day and constantly walking around. Sounds like he is very stressed and frantically searching for a safe territory. Are you sure your enclosure meets his needs? If you want to show pictures we might be able to give you some tips. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We get you love him and want only the best for him. Then let's start with giving him what he needs. To stay in a proper enclosure and not to roam the floors of your home that are dangerous for him. Also to never be in contact with the other animals that in a quick second will hurt him, mainly the dog.
We know people want to have a tort join in the family like a dog or cat does, laying on the couch or floor, etc. However, that is not what a tort wants or needs. They are happy when they are in a proper enclosure with proper temps, humidity, food and left alone. Like they would be in the wild.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi! You have a beautiful family! :)
We read many stories on the TFO about sudden, unpredictable attacks on torts by otherwise calm cats and dogs, so I think a few pictures of Hermes in his enclosure could help put our minds at ease...

Ohio
I will grab some pics of his 50 gallon stock tank i got at tractor supply and his temperature controlled heating element to alleviate any further concerns.
He does definitely sleep a lot, he's only up and about for a few hours a day.
He has a room to himself that is also kept at a balmy 80 - 83 degrees and i found it easier to maintain the '4 micro climates' in his 50 gallon enclosure.
I like the performance of the MVB that heats and provides UVB at the same time as i was concerned about burning his little eyes.
As a substrate i put a layer of moist topsoil down as a base and put a combination of cypress mulch and coconut husk to a thickness of about 4 or 5" which i mist down a couple times a day to keep the humidity gauge pinned at 70%.
I found he likes to burrow down to the moist top soil layer at night so his habitat is as close to natural as i could get.
He loves to eat clover and his mixed greens, but he especially gets excited for his moistened Mazuri pellet that i give him in the morning after his bath.
He is defecating and expelling his urates on a routine basis, though not always in his bath, so i think he is a healthy little tort.
We love him dearly and try to provide the most natural, stimulating environment possible.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sounds like your doing things right but PLEASE keep the dogs and cats away! That is a disaster waiting to happen. I know you say your animals won't hurt a thing but remember dogs and cats are predators by nature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I will grab some pics of his 50 gallon stock tank i got at tractor supply and his temperature controlled heating element to alleviate any further concerns.
He does definitely sleep a lot, he's only up and about for a few hours a day.
He has a room to himself that is also kept at a balmy 80 - 83 degrees and i found it easier to maintain the '4 micro climates' in his 50 gallon enclosure.
I like the performance of the MVB that heats and provides UVB at the same time as i was concerned about burning his little eyes.
As a substrate i put a layer of moist topsoil down as a base and put a combination of cypress mulch and coconut husk to a thickness of about 4 or 5" which i mist down a couple times a day to keep the humidity gauge pinned at 70%.
I found he likes to burrow down to the moist top soil layer at night so his habitat is as close to natural as i could get.
He loves to eat clover and his mixed greens, but he especially gets excited for his moistened Mazuri pellet that i give him in the morning after his bath.
He is defecating and expelling his urates on a routine basis, though not always in his bath, so i think he is a healthy little tort.
We love him dearly and try to provide the most natural, stimulating environment possible.
I love those stock tanks for tortoise habitats. In fact, I love Tractor Supply!!! Your cat is beautiful.

Ohio
There is my tortoise table, made from a 50 gallon stock tank from tractor supply.
I put a base of topsoil down to plant the hostas and the parsley, and then covered everything in cypress mulch and coconut husk.
Hermes likes to sleep burrowed at the base of the plants in the moist soil, and i also cover the entire enclosure at night to hold the humidity and have it build up all night into a dew in the morning. The result is about the most natural amount of moisture I can provide, and i think it will work well for him.
Hermes eats ravenously and he is gaining weight, I am working on acquiring a scale so i can know just how much.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
There is my tortoise table, made from a 50 gallon stock tank from tractor supply.
I put a base of topsoil down to plant the hostas and the parsley, and then covered everything in cypress mulch and coconut husk.
Hermes likes to sleep burrowed at the base of the plants in the moist soil, and i also cover the entire enclosure at night to hold the humidity and have it build up all night into a dew in the morning. The result is about the most natural amount of moisture I can provide, and i think it will work well for him.
Hermes eats ravenously and he is gaining weight, I am working on acquiring a scale so i can know just how much.

He must be so happy with all that space!

Ohio
You're right, and i will be adding more plants, it's harder than i thought to verify that plants available at the store are safe and weren't treated with pesticides.

I think I'm going to dig up some clover and stuff in my yard that is safe and plant some of that in his tub.

And that setup in that thread sure makes mine seem inadequate. I'm new to horticulture as well as tortoise husbandry so this will be a learning experience for both Hermes and I.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I think I'm going to dig up some clover and stuff in my yard that is safe and plant some of that in his tub.
Of course, just dig up a few clods of soil with grass and weeds! Much better than those store bought ornamental plants. :D