Hermie's day time house is finished

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
First I would like to apologize for not being on much I was very sick again and had to stay in the hospital for 10 days,but I finally started feeling like I was actually living again so I started working on his day time enclosure it's 4ft X 8ft on a concrete slab with 4 inches of coconut coir and bark nuggets on top.on section of the lids is covered so no matter what he has shelter from the sun plus he has a burrow under the shaded end so he can get in and get cool and have a place to feel safe,it's not decorated in the pics i just wanted to show the enclosure,I used 8 castle blocks and 2x8's it's not screwed or nailed together,the only thing that has fasteners is the lid it's attached to one top board with hinges,I have the lid covered with 1/2 inch stainless steel chicken wire for the first 3 sections then like I said it's last section is covered with wood.all the wood is covered with 3 coats of 35 year water based paint,I hope everyone likes it,i made it the way i did so if for any reason it can be easily taken apart moved then put back together,I'm still working on decorating it,but even left just the way it is Hermie absolutely loves it I put him in first thing in the morning when i take Dottie for her morning walk and I bring him back inside right around dark,we have far to many predators in my area to leave him out all the time,I truly believe they could never get it but i care to much about my little friends to take the chance,sorry if I rattled on to long but i wanted to get everyone caught up,and plus i missed being on the forum talking to everyone;):tort::cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_182038_02.jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_02.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220319_182038_01 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_01 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220319_182038_03.jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_03.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220319_182038_05 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_05 (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220319_182038_03.jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_03.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220319_182038_04.jpg
    IMG_20220319_182038_04.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What happens if it’s pouring outside? Can he stay outside? How do you prevent flooding/ drowning?

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Do you keep them out all day and bring him in at night?
If it storms he will be fine i have drain holes drilled in the bottom of the boards and the slab is very old and nowhere close to level some sections of the wood is almost half an inch above the concrete but if the rain was going to be any thing close to flooding he would probably not go out in that enclosure he would just stay in his 50 gallon rubber maid tub where he sleeps at night we have far to many predators where I live to chance leaving him in there all night,but with the covered part of the lid and his burrow under the shaded part of the enclosure he is fine for normal rain :)

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi Ron, welcome back to the forum, i hope you are feeling better now and it wasn't anything too serious, your outdoor enclosure looks great by the way.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Hi Ron, welcome back to the forum, i hope you are feeling better now and it wasn't anything too serious, your outdoor enclosure looks great by the way.
Hello Karen i had double pneumonia and they couldn't get it to clear so i was on IV antibiotics for a couple day just when i thought i was going to come home they found 2 blockages over 80% so now i have 2 stents and a going away gift,i was hardly ever sick when i was younger even with smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day,well my son asked me on his birthday last year if I wanted to give him what he wanted more than anything,he wanted me to quit smoking,and to promise and actually do it so we went to the little pizza joint and we had his birthday pizza and a couple pitchers of beer after we got home we sat out side watching the bats diving through the glow from the big yard light they were grabbing bugs,i smoked my last cigarette and gave him my Zippo lighter that i got from my dad after he died my mother gave it and his pocket knife to me,he said dad you should keep the lighter you know you can't quit,i said i promise as long as you have my lighter i will never smoke another one and i haven't not a single puff,but anyway since i quit i have had more stuff go wrong with me,i have heard that from other former smokers has any of you experience something like that?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
well fingers crossed now you'll be on the mend, i quit smoking 12 yrs ago and still to this day i have trouble clearing my throat, and this has only got worse since having covid in october, good luck Ron you can do it, you just have to WANT to do it. 🤞

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
I really hope so,the smoking is no problem i don't even think about them,except when i get ready to get in the car or just go outside i always do 2 things grab my back pocket to check for my wallet and grab my shirt pocket to see if i have my pack,i guess that never goes away,and thank you very much for the pep talk,I talk to quite a few people in the UK but not for tortoises,We talk about my other hobby over there you call them catapults here we call them slingshots :)

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Wow, i've never heard of anybody having a hobby involving slingshots Ron, my hobbies are my garden and my tort at the moment.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I really hope so,the smoking is no problem i don't even think about them,except when i get ready to get in the car or just go outside i always do 2 things grab my back pocket to check for my wallet and grab my shirt pocket to see if i have my pack,i guess that never goes away,and thank you very much for the pep talk,I talk to quite a few people in the UK but not for tortoises,We talk about my other hobby over there you call them catapults here we call them slingshots :)
Slingshots? Where do you do this