hermit crabs?

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Good evening everyone!

I was wondering do any of you guys have any Hermit crabs with there RFT? I was reading that they can be very beneficial but would it hurt the tortoise? and whats the tort:crab ratio? also what would also b good too add to the ssubstrate?

thanks!
Sean Kennedy

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I have lots of Hermies. I don't recommend housing them with your tortoises full-time, as both have some different habitat requirements. The heat and humidity for redfoots is good for Hermies, but they also need Salt water. You can include a salt water pool for them, and places to dig and burrow, but my concern would be bullying. Crabs will bully the torts, and pinch. Give it a try...of all tortoise species, RFs are prob the best for combining long term. Just watch for pinching!

I toss mine in occasionally, or give them "tortoise tootsie rolls" for dinner. I also have five difference species of tortoises to maintain.

Hope that helps, I love Hermies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, there are quit a few that houses hermits in with their tortoises to help keep the substrate clean. None of them that I know of has ever had a problem. I also do not keep salt water in with mine. I was told that's only for breeding. I have never had a problem with them not having salt water either. It doesn't hurt, but not needed.

I also wanted to add, I have do have a couple dead corals in my crabs cage that he can pick at for his salt. They however do need to have fresh available 24/7.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Is there a certain type of crab? Could u pls post a pic of the hermit crabs?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: hermit crabs?

kellychipoos said:
Is there a certain type of crab? Could u pls post a pic of the hermit crabs?

Well I only know of two, the one that pinch, and the other ones that pinch. :D

thatkiidsean said:
What other animals could I add to help keep the substrate clean?

On a serious note, i add pill bugs ("rolly pollys"). If you have a type of tort that wont eat a worm, then earthworms are good, because they break down soil. I also dump left over food into a jar (a cap-able jar) of slugs and snails. They eat up all the moldy food. Make sure the slime never comes in contact with the torts, that's bad.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a interesting idea. Surely will check into it. How fun and cool to add some hermits crab in the enclosure.

This is a great place to learn.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I had 2 in with my redfoot. I dont think its a good idea. My redfoot would go after the crabs and try to eat them. I had to seperate them.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390005984.791794.jpgmy hermies!!! So far everyone is getting along just fine :) my rf doesn't even pay em any attention... Keeping an eye on em all and any probs and I'll separate them :)

Last edited by a moderator:

onelove

My hermits don't do anything! I got 3 of them and they're always in the coconut coir. My rf tried nawing on the shells but gave up. Thinking about getting more to perk up their mood

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
My redfoot doesn't go after them in the least she completely ignores them and it actually works out pretty cool cuz honestly right when my rf is getting up the hermies are going to bed, and vise versa, so during the day they stay hidden and she wonders around. I have 3 and my enclosure is 6x3. At night tho I see them all around and eating [TURTLE][HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Did it for years. A few tips:
- Make sure you give everyone lots of room, and have lots of hiding places for the crabs. (The crabs are more nocturnal, so they will hide a lot during the day.)
- Make sure the crabs can access the water. The best tortoise water dish is recessed, has a gentle slope, and is deep enough for the tort to submerse its head. This is also great for the crabs.
- Offer the crabs something to climb on.

I lost one crab to a tortoise, and did not always get a long lifespan from them, but they were not pets to me, so this did not bother me a lot. I occasionally offered crab pellets, but they mostly ate the leftover tortoise food.

Other animals that work are rolly polly bugs (sowbugs, wood lice, etc.) and worms if you use a soil mix for the substrate (they also prevent snow fleas, fungus gnats, etc.). Anole lizards are also good if you have an enclosed space, especially if you get fruit flies, etc.