HermIt vet visit (hermann's hatchling)

Jami

Hi all,

HermIt went to a wonderful vet today. We were there for 2 hours and he was seen right on time- that is the time she took to talk with me, examine Hermie, and come up with a plan. She feels he has an infection. A bad one. He's septic. She is giving him less than a 50/50 chance of surviving.

That being said, she managed to get a teeny tiny speck of blood to analyze. She said the cells looked toxic-ish. She gave him fluids in his itty bitty leg - NOT vitamins, just to boost hydration. Then she consulted with others and filled 28 syringes of clindamycin (give 2x per day for 2 weeks) and 14 of baytril. He's so tiny that she figured out how to dilute the meds in water and I'm to give it to him orally. I have to attach the syringe to a tiny catheter tube and get him to open his mouth. She gave him his first doses with me so I could see how to do it. It's gonna be interesting!

I felt horrible for not taking him sooner. She told me her prognosis would have been the same a week ago. She feels that his condition is not caused by anything I have or have not done, but I take full responsibility for his care, so her words don't take away the guilt I feel.

I'm to increase soaks and temps and medicate....and hope for the best. I'm wondering if I should add some moss to his enclosure to increase holding the humidity in. I'm off work so I can monitor things better. Some of you asked for an update so there it is...such as it is....we've had a long day for a baby torty. Here's hoping I can get his meds in him!

Thanks all,
Jami

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry to hear the diagnosis, but I got to say, based on what you said. I like this vet.

Jami

Sorry to hear the diagnosis, but I got to say, based on what you said. I like this vet.
Yes. Me too. She was so good to us!

I'm so very sad. He looks terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So sorry your little guy is in such dire straits. PLEASE believe the vet that this little guy's condition was NOT YOUR FAULT.
ALL baby animals are fragile, and some simply have problems that can't be detected until they're advanced enough to show symptoms.

You can only do what you can do, and beating yourself up does NO GOOD.
We're all pulling for you both!!! :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Best of lucky hopefully the survival rate will increase. I know you have had a rough start. But it should end with loads of education and very hopeful a healthy active tortoise

Jami

So sorry your little guy is in such dire straits. PLEASE believe the vet that this little guy's condition was NOT YOUR FAULT.
ALL baby animals are fragile, and some simply have problems that can't be detected until they're advanced enough to show symptoms.

You can only do what you can do, and beating yourself up does NO GOOD.
We're all pulling for you both!!! :)
Thank you so very, very much!

Best of lucky hopefully the survival rate will increase. I know you have had a rough start. But it should end with loads of education and very hopeful a healthy active tortoise
Thank you so very much! I truly hope we come thru this with a happy, healthy torty!!! I'm not giving up!

Last edited by a moderator: