He's not hibernating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jules1965

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Dimas, California
Hi, I just signed up this morning to this website~ I was reading through it and found there is a lot of helpful topics/info here!!! Here's my problem.
I have a desert tortoise "Speedy". I have had him for 10 years now and every year I hibernate him inside our house and every year he has had NO problem until this year. I took him the doctor yesterday and she gave him a clean bill of health, other than feeding him 4 days ago, he acted hungry and apparently he was because he ate! But now, I have to keep him warm and make sure he won't hibernate for two weeks because I fed him. She advised that I soak him in luke warm water once a day for 10 minutes so he will get rid of the food he ate, or he could become ill. :( So this is what I did last night after getting him home from the doctor.
I pulled out "my" heating pad from the closet and turned it on warm only, I then put Speedy on it and I swear if he could drool he would have. He loves it. Problem number (1) the heating pad turns off automatically. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do ? Putting him directly on the heating pad, is that bad for him? Should I go buy a new heating pad that doesn't have a self shut off? And I'm worried that if I keep a heating pad on 24/7, isn't that a fire hazard? Any help from anyone would be great!!
Thanks,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a Russian tortoise in the same situation. All of my Russians dug in to wait out the winter, however, this one kept coming out every morning to sit up against the fence and try to warm up. Its too cold here for him to be out, so I had to set him up indoors.

Since your desert tortoise is pretty big, its is recommended for you to find a very big container. An old, used book case would be a good size. Lay it on its back and remove the shelves. I have mine set up in a cinder-block house with a plywood lid. Then I have two light fixtures mounted so they shine on the floor of the habitat. One for day, a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb, and the other for night, a black incandescent bulb. I also have a pig blanket in there, but that's because my cinder-block house it outside and its pretty cold out there. With your indoor habitat, the two lights would probably keep the tortoise warm enough. If not, you can position a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) over the habitat to add more warmth. You're just going to have to keep the tortoise awake.

The only reason for a tortoise to hibernate is to help him get through a cold winter. If you keep him warm, and he's eating, not hibernating is not going to harm him. Just be sure to get his habitat warm enough...85-95 on the warm side and 70 or so on the cool side. Then right under the light it can be 100 or so. You'll need a hiding place where he can go to get out of the light, a piece of tile or a rock to feed him on, and a waterer. I like to use cypress mulch on the floor, but there are other choices, You have to pick what appeals to you and suits you best.

Oh...and I forgot to say:
356242s7qz718myo.gif
to the forum!!

jules1965

5 Year Member
San Dimas, California
emysemys said:
I have a Russian tortoise in the same situation. All of my Russians dug in to wait out the winter, however, this one kept coming out every morning to sit up against the fence and try to warm up. Its too cold here for him to be out, so I had to set him up indoors.

Since your desert tortoise is pretty big, its is recommended for you to find a very big container. An old, used book case would be a good size. Lay it on its back and remove the shelves. I have mine set up in a cinder-block house with a plywood lid. Then I have two light fixtures mounted so they shine on the floor of the habitat. One for day, a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb, and the other for night, a black incandescent bulb. I also have a pig blanket in there, but that's because my cinder-block house it outside and its pretty cold out there. With your indoor habitat, the two lights would probably keep the tortoise warm enough. If not, you can position a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) over the habitat to add more warmth. You're just going to have to keep the tortoise awake.

The only reason for a tortoise to hibernate is to help him get through a cold winter. If you keep him warm, and he's eating, not hibernating is not going to harm him. Just be sure to get his habitat warm enough...85-95 on the warm side and 70 or so on the cool side. Then right under the light it can be 100 or so. You'll need a hiding place where he can go to get out of the light, a piece of tile or a rock to feed him on, and a waterer. I like to use cypress mulch on the floor, but there are other choices, You have to pick what appeals to you and suits you best.

Oh...and I forgot to say:
356242s7qz718myo.gif
to the forum!!

Thanks !! what are your thoughts on the heating pad I have right now for him? Until I get him his habitat set up indoors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it a regular human heating pad? I wouldn't use it. If its a heating pad meant to put under a terrarium or some such, it would probably be ok, but they sometimes get too hot.

jules1965

5 Year Member
San Dimas, California
emysemys said:
Is it a regular human heating pad? I wouldn't use it. If its a heating pad meant to put under a terrarium or some such, it would probably be ok, but they sometimes get too hot.
Yes it is a regular human heating pad, I have it set on warm, I thought I understood the doctor yesterday in saying use a heating pad like the one we humans use. "Speedy" has not budged from it, he loves it. This is only temporary until I figure out my next step as I need to keep him awake now for 2 weeks so his food will digest.

Status
Not open for further replies.