Hey Everyone! -and some advice please!

Squeak!thesulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello everyone! I am new to tortoise forum, but I hear it is a great platform to use when you have a tortoise. I recently haven't had much spare time to get involved, but thankfully this afternoon I have a good amount of free time! :) I have a 5 (almost 6) month old tortoise named Squeakers. At least that's how long we've had him. I love him sooooo much and he is just about to get a new custom tank upgrade! Sadly, I am worried about him. When we purchased him he had some health problems, but with a little TLC and some friendly advice from a reptile keeper I know, he got better. We speculate he has Hatching Failure Syndrome, though it obviously can't really be confirmed. Apparently, this happens with a lot of tortoises bought from the breeder I used. I will not use this breeder's name but I have contacted them since. Sadly they do not believe they did anything wrong in the upbringing of this tortoise.

His health has recently declined again. My family and I have come up with a sort of "rehabilitation" plan for our little guy. We have always none his cage isn't capable of retaining the humidity he needs, but we have been using a humid hide and it has helped as we have been working on his upgrade. Since he recently has gotten worse again, we are planning on buying a plastic tub of some sort that we can hook up his lighting to in an attempt to keep humidity high. Yes, it will be smaller but that is something we believe we have to sacrifice. If you have any advice or pictures on how to hook up his lighting but be able to keep in humidity that would be much appreciated.

We also will be letting him out in the yard for 30 mins a day, along with his regular soaks. One thing we have been wondering if we should put electro lights in his "mush". He hasn't been eating as much recently so we have been making blended mixtures of pellets and weeds for him to eat.

So, in summary, any and all help and advice is appreciated. I am willing to answer any questions (to an extent) and follow most of any advice. Thank you all!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Can you post some pics of Squeakers and also the enclosure? How are your temps and humidiy levels?