Hey everyone! I Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
i need to know the COMPLETE CARE for a baby sulcata :D im getting one this weekend i already read that sulcata care sticky but i have a few q's more im confused about uvb light what exact light do i need? i have 4 chameleons so i know about uvb. and i dont get supplementation! i have repcal d3, multi vitamins, and regular calcium no d3. i use those on my chameleons crickets but whats the schedule for sulcatas with supplements?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. Great for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you build a safe outdoor pen and put your baby out here for some daily sunshine, you don't need any artificial UV lights and can use regular incandescent flood bulbs for indoors. I like to do an hour or two a day for tiny hatchlings, and by the time they are a year old, I have them outside all day, every day, weather permitting. If you can just do a half hour twice a week, that is enought to prevent MBD. More is better.

For baby sulcatas I like to use a little calcium twice a week and vitamins once a week. This is just my preference, and it's not at all critical. I recommend some Mazuri a couple times a week too.

There is a lot more info in my signature too. Good luck.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Tom said:
If you build a safe outdoor pen and put your baby out here for some daily sunshine, you don't need any artificial UV lights and can use regular incandescent flood bulbs for indoors. I like to do an hour or two a day for tiny hatchlings, and by the time they are a year old, I have them outside all day, every day, weather permitting. If you can just do a half hour twice a week, that is enought to prevent MBD. More is better.

For baby sulcatas I like to use a little calcium twice a week and vitamins once a week. This is just my preference, and it's not at all critical. I recommend some Mazuri a couple times a week too.

There is a lot more info in my signature too. Good luck.

thanks a lot of been wanting one for a while know but want to know the correct care for them. so can i just feed the baby romaine lettuce? and is the one from the market okay i think my mom buys hers at costco she buys a bunch because of her salads. and whats the feeding schedule for him? every day? twice a day?

thanks again

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you can not just feed romaine. Must give a varied diet. Dark leafy greens, hibiscus flowers and leafs, dandelion greens, spring mix, grass and weeds, endive, spinless cactus pads, and Mazuri tortoise diet, there is a lot more you can feed too. Check out thetortoisetable.org for additional safe edible plants. Feed twice a day, a big handful each time. Get her/him outside as often as weather permits. A water dish large enough for her to get in and out of but not too deep, available 24/7. Soak everyday in warm water for 20-30 minutes.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
wellington said:
No, you can not just feed romaine. Must give a varied diet. Dark leafy greens, hibiscus flowers and leafs, dandelion greens, spring mix, grass and weeds, endive, spinless cactus pads, and Mazuri tortoise diet, there is a lot more you can feed too. Check out thetortoisetable.org for additional safe edible plants. Feed twice a day, a big handful each time. Get her/him outside as often as weather permits. A water dish large enough for her to get in and out of but not too deep, available 24/7. Soak everyday in warm water for 20-30 minutes.

ok so is store (costco) bought romaine safe to feed? and would i plant these seeds or feed him the seeds?

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=179

thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes Costco greens are fine. Wash with water only before feeding. Seeds are to plant and grow the weeds and grass up for The tort to graze on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Variety is good. Plant lots of things. Buy several seed mixes and plant them in the tortoises outdoor enclosure. Then he can graze all day, and you won't have to "feed" him at all. You can also start seeds in trays and then countersink the trays into your substrate in your indoor enclosure. Swap out trays as they get eaten or trampled.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
Variety is good. Plant lots of things. Buy several seed mixes and plant them in the tortoises outdoor enclosure. Then he can graze all day, and you won't have to "feed" him at all. You can also start seeds in trays and then countersink the trays into your substrate in your indoor enclosure. Swap out trays as they get eaten or trampled.

Yep!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.