Hey Everyone! I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy28

5 Year Member
:D Be prepared for lotsa questions.

My name is Sam and my ??? type of turtle's name is Duchess. I got her from a friend and I don't know anything about her!!! I'm trying different things I know, since I also own a Uromastyx named Spot and a Bearded Dragon named Juju.

tomorrow (it's late tonight) I'll post a picture of her (I think she's mal-nourished) so you all can help me get to know her and take care of her better.

-sam

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hello there Sam !!!! Welcome to the forum to you and Duchess, Spot and Juju :D

This is a fantastic forum, and once someone can help you with identifying what tort or turtle you have (from a picture :)) - then you can start asking all the questions you need and reading up on it in one of the threads specific for your species.

I look forward to seeing your pics :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome. Very important we know what type you have.. Is it a Water Turtle, Land Tortoise or a box turtle? Post a pic as soon as you can, so we can start assisting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam: Welcome to the forum! You are doing the right thing by trying to research your turtle/tortoise so that you can take care of it properly. I'm looking forward to pictures so that we can help you.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sammy welcome to the forum. At this point a pic is worth a 1000 words and a must for us to help you ID your shelled friend Duchess. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Sammy...welcome to the show...please hurry and post pictures because you can't properly take care of the tort if you don't know the exact species. Different species all have different requirements...some eat meat, some graze on grass, some eat broadleaf weeds and she may be malnourished because her former keepers were trying to feed meat to a grazer or something along that vein...

sammy28

5 Year Member
alright, I got pictures. Sorry about the wait, I had to work today. You'll also get to see my Uro and Beardie. Extra fun.

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/samalama08/

I'm not positive about the weblink working (I imagine it will), so just in case I'll put one picture of Duchess on here.

DSCN1597.jpg

To me, she looks rather surprised at the photo op. :)
-sam

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What you have there is a box turtle. As far as species it's hard to tell (think it's a three toed}, so if you can post a side shot and pastron (bottom shell) we can get a better idea. As far as care, she needs a moist substrat (cypress or hardwood mulch), a moist hide with sphagrum moss, and a soaking/wadeing bowl. As far as diet she needs a protein source such as earthworms or other inveretbrates, soft fruit, and some greens such as dandelions or collards. If you can setup an outside enclosure that would be great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have lots of different turtles and tortoises here on the forum with wrong-sex names, and now we can add (Duchess) Duke to them. Your little male 3-toed box turtle is really cute! Box turtles eat bugs, worms, veggies and fruit...in other words omnivorous! They like water and should be housed in a moist environment. My box turtles all get up in the morning and sit in their water, no matter how cold it is. Then they go out looking for food. Here's a link to caring for North America's box turtles:

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Terrapenecare.htm

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Sam :)

I agree you do have a male Three-toed box turtle.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum Sam :)

I agree you do have a male Three-toed box turtle.

Danny

Dan: Does it look to you like the front leg is a little swollen and maybe flushed? Or do you think that's just his coloration?

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not sure about swollen, but the skin is very pink on the front legs and chin. The skin looks a bit thin as opposed to being septic. Might have been kept wet like a water turtle or could be deficient in the B vitamins.

Danny

sammy28

5 Year Member
eeep! anything I should do?!?! Or is that something I'll learn later?

-sam

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
A good diet will help that out. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sammy28 said:
eeep!

-sam

This gave me a good chuckle!! Still chuckling about it. "eep!" I love it!!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.