Hey everyone!

Drew1405

Location (City and/or State)
Lisburn
Hi folks,

I'm a first time tortoise owner from the UK. I'm not at all new to reptiles (I own and have owned quite a few over the years but I literally just got my tortoise today, a Horsefield tortoise. I'd been lurking on this forum reading up on them for a while and thought I'd join up now I have my little guy/girl (not sure yet!). I've named "him" Toto.

Is there anything special I should do in the first few days of owning a tortoise until he settles into his new surroundings? I had his enclosure all ready for him so I just popped him in and he went off into his hide after a few minutes. I intend to leave him be for a week or so to let him settle but I've put food in for him in case he is hungry.

I'll get a good photo of him once he has settled in.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi folks,

I'm a first time tortoise owner from the UK. I'm not at all new to reptiles (I own and have owned quite a few over the years but I literally just got my tortoise today, a Horsefield tortoise. I'd been lurking on this forum reading up on them for a while and thought I'd join up now I have my little guy/girl (not sure yet!). I've named "him" Toto.

Is there anything special I should do in the first few days of owning a tortoise until he settles into his new surroundings? I had his enclosure all ready for him so I just popped him in and he went off into his hide after a few minutes. I intend to leave him be for a week or so to let him settle but I've put food in for him in case he is hungry.

I'll get a good photo of him once he has settled in.
Hi and welcome, I'm in the UK too.
I expect you've read the caresheets for Russians which will tell you all about diet, temps, substrate, humidity etc to get you started.
The Beginners mistakes thread will help you avoid potential problems and the Enclosures thread has great ideas.
www.thetortoistable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants for food and enclosures.

Have you put water in for him too? A plant saucer sunk level with the substrate for easy access is all you need - just big enough for him to self soak and not too deep - make sure he can get out safely without tipping back. It may be an idea to give his some warm shallow soaks sooner rather than later in case he needs hydrating after his last home.

If you posts pics of your set up members will help you make any changes if necessary to make sure your tort has a safe home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!